Re: Missprint in help

    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005
      Fan Decheng wrote:

      > Wind wrote:
      > > Hello vim-dev,
      > > While rereading help I've found mispring:
      > > usr_04.txt 336,24:
      > > "usual. To yank two workds use "y2w". Example:"
      >
      > I used the :helpg command to search for such errors, and found another
      > in arabic.txt:

      Thanks for the corrections, I'll include them. These mistakes will
      probably be less frequent when spell checking works. I'm currently
      working on using the Myspell files (used in OpenOffice.org and Mozilla).

      44. Your friends no longer send you e-mail...they just log on to your IRC
      channel.

      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005
        Tony Mechelynck wrote:

        > While we're at it, I found an error under ":help i_CTRL-V_digit":
        >
        > *insert.txt* For Vim version 7.0aa. Last change: 2005 Feb 21
        > line 274
        > there is:
        >
        > o or O octal 3 255
        >
        > there should be:
        >
        > o or O octal 3 377 (255)
        >
        > for consistency with the following lines.

        I'll change that. Thanks.

        - Bram

        47. You are so familiar with the WWW that you find the search engines useless.

      • Keith Roberts
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005

          I wouldn't count on spell check to catch "its" => "it's" errors, since
          "its" is also a legitimate English word (the possessive pronoun). :)

          Example:
          It's lost its ability to turn.

          [It has] ... [where "its" means the ability belonging to it]

          -Keith
        • Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005
            Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the subject of this thread
            has a typo? And the body of the original post... :)

            RE: Missprint in help

            should be:

            RE: Misprint in help

            >> While rereading help I've found mispring:

            should be:

            >> While rereading help I've found misprint:

            Kevin

            >> While rereading help I've found mispring:
            [...]

            While we're at it, I found an error under ":help i_CTRL-V_digit":

            *insert.txt* For Vim version 7.0aa. Last change: 2005 Feb 21
            line 274
            there is:

            o or O octal 3 255

            there should be:

            o or O octal 3 377 (255)

            for consistency with the following lines.

          • Eljay Love-Jensen
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005
              >Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the subject of this thread has a typo? And the body of the original post... :)

              Phil's Law - when pointing out a typo or grammatical, one makes a typo or grammatical error. Especially when more egregious than the original one pointed out.

              --Eljay
            • Wind
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
                Hello Kevin,

                Thanks for correction. I'm not very accurate while wrting, even
                in my native language. But while reading I stumble over misprints
                (Wish it be vice-versa). Sorry for mistakes in my letter(s).

                PS:
                Don't spellcheck this letter, or it will be infinite
                process. ;)

                CKMC> Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the subject of this thread
                CKMC> has a typo? And the body of the original post... :)

                CKMC> RE: Missprint in help

                CKMC> should be:

                CKMC> RE: Misprint in help

                >>> While rereading help I've found mispring:

                CKMC> should be:

                >>> While rereading help I've found misprint:

                CKMC> Kevin

                CKMC> -----Original Message-----
                CKMC> From: A. J. Mechelynck [mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...]
                CKMC> Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2005 6:18 PM
                CKMC> To: Fan Decheng
                CKMC> Cc: Wind; vim-dev@...
                CKMC> Subject: Re: Missprint in help

                CKMC> Fan Decheng wrote:
                >> Wind wrote:
                >>
                >>> Hello vim-dev,
                >>> While rereading help I've found mispring:
                CKMC> [...]

                CKMC> While we're at it, I found an error under ":help i_CTRL-V_digit":

                CKMC> *insert.txt* For Vim version 7.0aa. Last change: 2005 Feb 21
                CKMC> line 274
                CKMC> there is:

                CKMC> o or O octal 3 255

                CKMC> there should be:

                CKMC> o or O octal 3 377 (255)

                CKMC> for consistency with the following lines.

                CKMC> Best regards,
                CKMC> Tony.

                Wind mailto:sonic_wind@...
              • A. J. Mechelynck
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
                  Wind wrote:
                  > Hello Kevin,
                  >
                  > Thanks for correction. I'm not very accurate while wrting, even
                  > in my native language. But while reading I stumble over misprints
                  > (Wish it be vice-versa). Sorry for mistakes in my letter(s).
                  [...]

                  If you notice errors more when reading than when writing, then you
                  should attentively reread what you have written. Not only for typos, but
                  also for phrasing and for things that you forgot to say -- or that you
                  needn't have said.

                  Me too, sometimes a letter "remains in my finger" when I type, or two of
                  them appear reversed etc. I catch most of those errors on rereading.

                • Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
                    Wind,

                    I wasn't intending to offend you - hopefully you did not tak it
                    that way. I just found it very ironic. :)

                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
                      And of course, I make a typo! :)

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
                        Hello Kevin,
                        You're welcome. I'm not very touchy, so there is no offence.
                        And yet I found it very ironic too. Thank you for joy.

                        CKMC> And of course, I make a typo! :)

                        CKMC> -----Original Message-----
                        CKMC> From: Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]
                        CKMC> Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 11:32 AM
                        CKMC> To: Wind
                        CKMC> Cc: vim-dev@...
                        CKMC> Subject: RE: Missprint in help

                        CKMC> Wind,

                        CKMC> I wasn't intending to offend you - hopefully you did not tak it
                        CKMC> that way. I just found it very ironic. :)

                        CKMC> Kevin

                        CKMC> -----Original Message-----
                        CKMC> From: A. J. Mechelynck [mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...]
                        CKMC> Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 12:46 AM
                        CKMC> To: Wind
                        CKMC> Cc: vim-dev@...; Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]

                        CKMC> Wind wrote:
                        >> Hello Kevin,
                        >>
                        >> Thanks for correction. I'm not very accurate while wrting, even
                        >> in my native language. But while reading I stumble over misprints
                        >> (Wish it be vice-versa). Sorry for mistakes in my letter(s).
                        CKMC> [...]

                        CKMC> If you notice errors more when reading than when writing, then you
                        CKMC> should attentively reread what you have written. Not only for typos, but

                        CKMC> also for phrasing and for things that you forgot to say -- or that you
                        CKMC> needn't have said.

                        CKMC> Me too, sometimes a letter "remains in my finger" when I type, or two of

                        CKMC> them appear reversed etc. I catch most of those errors on rereading.

                        CKMC> Best regards,
                        CKMC> Tony.

                        Wind mailto:sonic_wind@...