Re: Missprint in help

  • Fan Decheng
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1 1:38 AM
      Wind wrote:
      > Hello vim-dev,
      > While rereading help I've found mispring:
      > usr_04.txt 336,24:
      > "usual. To yank two workds use "y2w". Example:"

      I used the :helpg command to search for such errors, and found another
      in arabic.txt:

      arabic.txt|197| default mapping (english), its advised that users use
      the 'CTRL-^'

      its => it's

      quotes.txt|61| you get the hang of it, its small, powerful and FAST!
      (Unknown)

      its => it's

      rileft.txt|39| existing editor (and its not sanctioned by Unicode either).

      its => it's

      sign.txt|27| Microsystem's dtterm does support this its the only
      terminal emulator I know

      its => . It's

      version6.txt|6811| Solution: Add the "skip_syntax_sel_menu" variable.
      When its defined the

      its => it's

      netbeans.txt|149| set up. You can change the command name but thats
      about it. If your gvim

      thats => that's

      There are many "its"'s in the help files, I just tried my best to find
      all these.
    • A. J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 3 6:18 PM
        Fan Decheng wrote:
        > Wind wrote:
        >
        >> Hello vim-dev,
        >> While rereading help I've found mispring:
        [...]

        While we're at it, I found an error under ":help i_CTRL-V_digit":

        *insert.txt* For Vim version 7.0aa. Last change: 2005 Feb 21
        line 274
        there is:

        o or O octal 3 255

        there should be:

        o or O octal 3 377 (255)

        for consistency with the following lines.

        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 4 2:01 AM
          Fan Decheng wrote:

          > Wind wrote:
          > > Hello vim-dev,
          > > While rereading help I've found mispring:
          > > usr_04.txt 336,24:
          > > "usual. To yank two workds use "y2w". Example:"
          >
          > I used the :helpg command to search for such errors, and found another
          > in arabic.txt:

          Thanks for the corrections, I'll include them. These mistakes will
          probably be less frequent when spell checking works. I'm currently
          working on using the Myspell files (used in OpenOffice.org and Mozilla).

          44. Your friends no longer send you e-mail...they just log on to your IRC
          channel.

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 4 2:01 AM
            Tony Mechelynck wrote:

            > While we're at it, I found an error under ":help i_CTRL-V_digit":
            >
            > *insert.txt* For Vim version 7.0aa. Last change: 2005 Feb 21
            > line 274
            > there is:
            >
            > o or O octal 3 255
            >
            > there should be:
            >
            > o or O octal 3 377 (255)
            >
            > for consistency with the following lines.

            I'll change that. Thanks.

            - Bram

            47. You are so familiar with the WWW that you find the search engines useless.

          • Keith Roberts
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 4 9:59 AM

              I wouldn't count on spell check to catch "its" => "it's" errors, since
              "its" is also a legitimate English word (the possessive pronoun). :)

              Example:
              It's lost its ability to turn.

              [It has] ... [where "its" means the ability belonging to it]

              -Keith
            • Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 4 9:59 AM
                Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the subject of this thread
                has a typo? And the body of the original post... :)

                RE: Missprint in help

                should be:

                RE: Misprint in help

                >> While rereading help I've found mispring:

                should be:

                >> While rereading help I've found misprint:

                Kevin

                >> While rereading help I've found mispring:
                [...]

                While we're at it, I found an error under ":help i_CTRL-V_digit":

                *insert.txt* For Vim version 7.0aa. Last change: 2005 Feb 21
                line 274
                there is:

                o or O octal 3 255

                there should be:

                o or O octal 3 377 (255)

                for consistency with the following lines.

              • Eljay Love-Jensen
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 4 10:41 AM
                  >Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the subject of this thread has a typo? And the body of the original post... :)

                  Phil's Law - when pointing out a typo or grammatical, one makes a typo or grammatical error. Especially when more egregious than the original one pointed out.

                  --Eljay
                • Wind
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 5 12:24 AM
                    Hello Kevin,

                    Thanks for correction. I'm not very accurate while wrting, even
                    in my native language. But while reading I stumble over misprints
                    (Wish it be vice-versa). Sorry for mistakes in my letter(s).

                    PS:
                    Don't spellcheck this letter, or it will be infinite
                    process. ;)

                    CKMC> Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the subject of this thread
                    CKMC> has a typo? And the body of the original post... :)

                    CKMC> RE: Missprint in help

                    CKMC> should be:

                    CKMC> RE: Misprint in help

                    >>> While rereading help I've found mispring:

                    CKMC> should be:

                    >>> While rereading help I've found misprint:

                    CKMC> Kevin

                    CKMC> -----Original Message-----
                    CKMC> From: A. J. Mechelynck [mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...]
                    CKMC> Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2005 6:18 PM
                    CKMC> To: Fan Decheng
                    CKMC> Cc: Wind; vim-dev@...
                    CKMC> Subject: Re: Missprint in help

                    CKMC> Fan Decheng wrote:
                    >> Wind wrote:
                    >>
                    >>> Hello vim-dev,
                    >>> While rereading help I've found mispring:
                    CKMC> [...]

                    CKMC> While we're at it, I found an error under ":help i_CTRL-V_digit":

                    CKMC> *insert.txt* For Vim version 7.0aa. Last change: 2005 Feb 21
                    CKMC> line 274
                    CKMC> there is:

                    CKMC> o or O octal 3 255

                    CKMC> there should be:

                    CKMC> o or O octal 3 377 (255)

                    CKMC> for consistency with the following lines.

                    CKMC> Best regards,
                    CKMC> Tony.

                    Wind mailto:sonic_wind@...
                  • A. J. Mechelynck
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 5 12:46 AM
                      Wind wrote:
                      > Hello Kevin,
                      >
                      > Thanks for correction. I'm not very accurate while wrting, even
                      > in my native language. But while reading I stumble over misprints
                      > (Wish it be vice-versa). Sorry for mistakes in my letter(s).
                      [...]

                      If you notice errors more when reading than when writing, then you
                      should attentively reread what you have written. Not only for typos, but
                      also for phrasing and for things that you forgot to say -- or that you
                      needn't have said.

                      Me too, sometimes a letter "remains in my finger" when I type, or two of
                      them appear reversed etc. I catch most of those errors on rereading.

                    • Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 5 11:31 AM
                        Wind,

                        I wasn't intending to offend you - hopefully you did not tak it
                        that way. I just found it very ironic. :)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 5 12:01 PM
                          And of course, I make a typo! :)

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 5 11:47 PM
                            Hello Kevin,
                            You're welcome. I'm not very touchy, so there is no offence.
                            And yet I found it very ironic too. Thank you for joy.

                            CKMC> And of course, I make a typo! :)

                            CKMC> -----Original Message-----
                            CKMC> From: Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]
                            CKMC> Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 11:32 AM
                            CKMC> To: Wind
                            CKMC> Cc: vim-dev@...
                            CKMC> Subject: RE: Missprint in help

                            CKMC> Wind,

                            CKMC> I wasn't intending to offend you - hopefully you did not tak it
                            CKMC> that way. I just found it very ironic. :)

                            CKMC> Kevin

                            CKMC> -----Original Message-----
                            CKMC> From: A. J. Mechelynck [mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...]
                            CKMC> Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 12:46 AM
                            CKMC> To: Wind
                            CKMC> Cc: vim-dev@...; Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]

                            CKMC> Wind wrote:
                            >> Hello Kevin,
                            >>
                            >> Thanks for correction. I'm not very accurate while wrting, even
                            >> in my native language. But while reading I stumble over misprints
                            >> (Wish it be vice-versa). Sorry for mistakes in my letter(s).
                            CKMC> [...]

                            CKMC> If you notice errors more when reading than when writing, then you
                            CKMC> should attentively reread what you have written. Not only for typos, but

                            CKMC> also for phrasing and for things that you forgot to say -- or that you
                            CKMC> needn't have said.

                            CKMC> Me too, sometimes a letter "remains in my finger" when I type, or two of

                            CKMC> them appear reversed etc. I catch most of those errors on rereading.

                            CKMC> Best regards,
                            CKMC> Tony.

                            Wind mailto:sonic_wind@...