Missprint in help

  • Wind
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1, 2005
      Hello vim-dev,
      While rereading help I've found mispring:
      usr_04.txt 336,24:
      "usual. To yank two workds use "y2w". Example:"
      Wind mailto:sonic_wind@...
    • Fan Decheng
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1, 2005
        Wind wrote:
        > Hello vim-dev,
        > While rereading help I've found mispring:
        > usr_04.txt 336,24:
        > "usual. To yank two workds use "y2w". Example:"

        I used the :helpg command to search for such errors, and found another
        in arabic.txt:

        arabic.txt|197| default mapping (english), its advised that users use
        the 'CTRL-^'

        its => it's

        quotes.txt|61| you get the hang of it, its small, powerful and FAST!
        (Unknown)

        its => it's

        rileft.txt|39| existing editor (and its not sanctioned by Unicode either).

        its => it's

        sign.txt|27| Microsystem's dtterm does support this its the only
        terminal emulator I know

        its => . It's

        version6.txt|6811| Solution: Add the "skip_syntax_sel_menu" variable.
        When its defined the

        its => it's

        netbeans.txt|149| set up. You can change the command name but thats
        about it. If your gvim

        thats => that's

        There are many "its"'s in the help files, I just tried my best to find
        all these.
      • A. J. Mechelynck
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 3, 2005
          Fan Decheng wrote:
          > Wind wrote:
          >
          >> Hello vim-dev,
          >> While rereading help I've found mispring:
          [...]

          While we're at it, I found an error under ":help i_CTRL-V_digit":

          *insert.txt* For Vim version 7.0aa. Last change: 2005 Feb 21
          line 274
          there is:

          o or O octal 3 255

          there should be:

          o or O octal 3 377 (255)

          for consistency with the following lines.

          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005
            Fan Decheng wrote:

            > Wind wrote:
            > > Hello vim-dev,
            > > While rereading help I've found mispring:
            > > usr_04.txt 336,24:
            > > "usual. To yank two workds use "y2w". Example:"
            >
            > I used the :helpg command to search for such errors, and found another
            > in arabic.txt:

            Thanks for the corrections, I'll include them. These mistakes will
            probably be less frequent when spell checking works. I'm currently
            working on using the Myspell files (used in OpenOffice.org and Mozilla).

            44. Your friends no longer send you e-mail...they just log on to your IRC
            channel.

            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005
              Tony Mechelynck wrote:

              > While we're at it, I found an error under ":help i_CTRL-V_digit":
              >
              > *insert.txt* For Vim version 7.0aa. Last change: 2005 Feb 21
              > line 274
              > there is:
              >
              > o or O octal 3 255
              >
              > there should be:
              >
              > o or O octal 3 377 (255)
              >
              > for consistency with the following lines.

              I'll change that. Thanks.

              - Bram

              47. You are so familiar with the WWW that you find the search engines useless.

            • Keith Roberts
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005

                I wouldn't count on spell check to catch "its" => "it's" errors, since
                "its" is also a legitimate English word (the possessive pronoun). :)

                Example:
                It's lost its ability to turn.

                [It has] ... [where "its" means the ability belonging to it]

                -Keith
              • Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005
                  Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the subject of this thread
                  has a typo? And the body of the original post... :)

                  RE: Missprint in help

                  should be:

                  RE: Misprint in help

                  >> While rereading help I've found mispring:

                  should be:

                  >> While rereading help I've found misprint:

                  Kevin

                  >> While rereading help I've found mispring:
                  [...]

                  While we're at it, I found an error under ":help i_CTRL-V_digit":

                  *insert.txt* For Vim version 7.0aa. Last change: 2005 Feb 21
                  line 274
                  there is:

                  o or O octal 3 255

                  there should be:

                  o or O octal 3 377 (255)

                  for consistency with the following lines.

                • Eljay Love-Jensen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 4, 2005
                    >Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the subject of this thread has a typo? And the body of the original post... :)

                    Phil's Law - when pointing out a typo or grammatical, one makes a typo or grammatical error. Especially when more egregious than the original one pointed out.

                    --Eljay
                  • Wind
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
                      Hello Kevin,

                      Thanks for correction. I'm not very accurate while wrting, even
                      in my native language. But while reading I stumble over misprints
                      (Wish it be vice-versa). Sorry for mistakes in my letter(s).

                      PS:
                      Don't spellcheck this letter, or it will be infinite
                      process. ;)

                      CKMC> Am I the only one who finds it humorous that the subject of this thread
                      CKMC> has a typo? And the body of the original post... :)

                      CKMC> RE: Missprint in help

                      CKMC> should be:

                      CKMC> RE: Misprint in help

                      >>> While rereading help I've found mispring:

                      CKMC> should be:

                      >>> While rereading help I've found misprint:

                      CKMC> Kevin

                      CKMC> -----Original Message-----
                      CKMC> From: A. J. Mechelynck [mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...]
                      CKMC> Sent: Sunday, April 03, 2005 6:18 PM
                      CKMC> To: Fan Decheng
                      CKMC> Cc: Wind; vim-dev@...
                      CKMC> Subject: Re: Missprint in help

                      CKMC> Fan Decheng wrote:
                      >> Wind wrote:
                      >>
                      >>> Hello vim-dev,
                      >>> While rereading help I've found mispring:
                      CKMC> [...]

                      CKMC> While we're at it, I found an error under ":help i_CTRL-V_digit":

                      CKMC> *insert.txt* For Vim version 7.0aa. Last change: 2005 Feb 21
                      CKMC> line 274
                      CKMC> there is:

                      CKMC> o or O octal 3 255

                      CKMC> there should be:

                      CKMC> o or O octal 3 377 (255)

                      CKMC> for consistency with the following lines.

                      CKMC> Best regards,
                      CKMC> Tony.

                      Wind mailto:sonic_wind@...
                    • A. J. Mechelynck
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
                        Wind wrote:
                        > Hello Kevin,
                        >
                        > Thanks for correction. I'm not very accurate while wrting, even
                        > in my native language. But while reading I stumble over misprints
                        > (Wish it be vice-versa). Sorry for mistakes in my letter(s).
                        [...]

                        If you notice errors more when reading than when writing, then you
                        should attentively reread what you have written. Not only for typos, but
                        also for phrasing and for things that you forgot to say -- or that you
                        needn't have said.

                        Me too, sometimes a letter "remains in my finger" when I type, or two of
                        them appear reversed etc. I catch most of those errors on rereading.

                      • Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
                          Wind,

                          I wasn't intending to offend you - hopefully you did not tak it
                          that way. I just found it very ironic. :)

                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
                            And of course, I make a typo! :)

                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 5, 2005
                              Hello Kevin,
                              You're welcome. I'm not very touchy, so there is no offence.
                              And yet I found it very ironic too. Thank you for joy.

                              CKMC> And of course, I make a typo! :)

                              CKMC> -----Original Message-----
                              CKMC> From: Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]
                              CKMC> Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 11:32 AM
                              CKMC> To: Wind
                              CKMC> Cc: vim-dev@...
                              CKMC> Subject: RE: Missprint in help

                              CKMC> Wind,

                              CKMC> I wasn't intending to offend you - hopefully you did not tak it
                              CKMC> that way. I just found it very ironic. :)

                              CKMC> Kevin

                              CKMC> -----Original Message-----
                              CKMC> From: A. J. Mechelynck [mailto:antoine.mechelynck@...]
                              CKMC> Sent: Tuesday, April 05, 2005 12:46 AM
                              CKMC> To: Wind
                              CKMC> Cc: vim-dev@...; Collins, Kevin (MindWorks) [Contractor]

                              CKMC> Wind wrote:
                              >> Hello Kevin,
                              >>
                              >> Thanks for correction. I'm not very accurate while wrting, even
                              >> in my native language. But while reading I stumble over misprints
                              >> (Wish it be vice-versa). Sorry for mistakes in my letter(s).
                              CKMC> [...]

                              CKMC> If you notice errors more when reading than when writing, then you
                              CKMC> should attentively reread what you have written. Not only for typos, but

                              CKMC> also for phrasing and for things that you forgot to say -- or that you
                              CKMC> needn't have said.

                              CKMC> Me too, sometimes a letter "remains in my finger" when I type, or two of

                              CKMC> them appear reversed etc. I catch most of those errors on rereading.

                              CKMC> Best regards,
                              CKMC> Tony.

                              Wind mailto:sonic_wind@...