Re: vim70aa (2005 Mar 25) runtime/spell missing

  • Bill McCarthy
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 28, 2005
      Elimar,

      On Mon 28-Mar-05 4:09am -0600, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

      >> Fixed for me ;-) But why does a fresh checkout forget runtime/spell.
      >> Bram has to investigate i think.

      > The file is there in CVS, thus the problem must be on your side. When
      > you do a fresh checkout, make sure you create a new directory for it and
      > "cd" there.

      It may be just a missing switch. I run with:

      cvs -z3 up -Pd

      The -z3 tell cvs to use compression over the net.

      The up is, of course, update.

      The -P (an update switch) tells CVS to prune empty
      directories.

      And now for the possible solution. The -d (another
      update switch) tells CVS to create new directories like
      checkout does.

      My CVS created the spell directory under runtime as
      expected.

      Bill
    • Elimar Riesebieter
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 28, 2005
        On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 the mental interface of
        Bram Moolenaar told:

        [...]
        > The file is there in CVS, thus the problem must be on your side. When
        > you do a fresh checkout, make sure you create a new directory for it and
        > "cd" there.

        On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 the mental interface of
        Bill McCarthy told:

        > Elimar,
        [...]
        > It may be just a missing switch. I run with:
        >
        > cvs -z3 up -Pd

        On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 the mental interface of
        Rene de Zwart told:

        [...]
        > I tink you have to use "cvs update -d".

        mkdir -p $HOME/tmp/vim-cvs
        cd $HOME/tmp/vim-cvs
        cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/vim checkout vim

        -> no runtime/spell

        cd vim
        cvs -z3 up -Pd

        -> no runtime/spell

        cvs update -d

        -> no runtime/spell

        I did this with
        Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.12.9 (client/server)

        Elimar

        --
        "Talking much about oneself can also
        be a means to conceal oneself."
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 28, 2005
          Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
          > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 the mental interface of
          > Bram Moolenaar told:
          >
          > [...]
          >
          >>The file is there in CVS, thus the problem must be on your side. When
          >>you do a fresh checkout, make sure you create a new directory for it and
          >>"cd" there.
          >

          > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 the mental interface of
          > Bill McCarthy told:
          >

          >>Elimar,
          >
          > [...]
          >
          >>It may be just a missing switch. I run with:
          >>
          >> cvs -z3 up -Pd
          >>

          > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 the mental interface of
          > Rene de Zwart told:
          >
          > [...]
          >
          >>I tink you have to use "cvs update -d".
          >

          > mkdir -p $HOME/tmp/vim-cvs
          > cd $HOME/tmp/vim-cvs
          > cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/vim checkout vim
          >
          > -> no runtime/spell
          >
          > cd vim
          > cvs -z3 up -Pd
          >
          > -> no runtime/spell
          >
          > cvs update -d
          >
          > -> no runtime/spell
          >
          > I did this with
          > Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.12.9 (client/server)
          >
          > Elimar

          Looks like there are still some bugs in CVS (or are you sure that what
          you are checking out is 7.0aa not 6.3 ?). Try the latest zipfile from
          ftp://ftp.vim.org/pub/vim/unstable/snapshot/ -- it may be outdated
          technology but (maybe for that reason) it works.

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 28, 2005
            Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

            > mkdir -p $HOME/tmp/vim-cvs
            > cd $HOME/tmp/vim-cvs
            > cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/vim checkout vim
            >
            > -> no runtime/spell

            You should checkout "vim7", not "vim"! You are getting Vim 6.3.

            --
            Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
            account be allowed to do the job.

          • Elimar Riesebieter
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 28, 2005
              On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 the mental interface of
              Bram Moolenaar told:

              > Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
              >
              > > mkdir -p $HOME/tmp/vim-cvs
              > > cd $HOME/tmp/vim-cvs
              > > cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/vim checkout vim
              > >
              > > -> no runtime/spell
              >
              > You should checkout "vim7", not "vim"! You are getting Vim 6.3.

              src/version tells:

              #define VIM_VERSION_NODOT_······"vim70aa"
              #define VIM_VERSION_SHORT_······"7.0aa"
              #define VIM_VERSION_MEDIUM_·····"7.0aa ALPHA"
              #define VIM_VERSION_LONG_·······"VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0aa ALPHA (2005 Mar 25)"
              #define VIM_VERSION_LONG_DATE_··"VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0aa ALPHA (2005 Mar 25, compiled "

              in both checking out vim or vim7.

              Elimar

              --
              Learned men are the cisterns of knowledge,
              not the fountainheads ;-)
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 28, 2005
                Elimar Riesebieter wrote:

                > On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 the mental interface of
                > Bram Moolenaar told:
                >

                > > Elimar Riesebieter wrote:
                > >
                > > > mkdir -p $HOME/tmp/vim-cvs
                > > > cd $HOME/tmp/vim-cvs
                > > > cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@...:/cvsroot/vim checkout vim
                > > >
                > > > -> no runtime/spell
                > >
                > > You should checkout "vim7", not "vim"! You are getting Vim 6.3.
                >
                > src/version tells:
                >
                > #define VIM_VERSION_NODOT_=B7=B7=B7=B7=B7=B7"vim70aa"
                > #define VIM_VERSION_SHORT_=B7=B7=B7=B7=B7=B7"7.0aa"
                > #define VIM_VERSION_MEDIUM_=B7=B7=B7=B7=B7"7.0aa ALPHA"
                > #define VIM_VERSION_LONG_=B7=B7=B7=B7=B7=B7=B7"VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0aa ALPHA (2005 Mar 25)"
                > #define VIM_VERSION_LONG_DATE_=B7=B7"VIM - Vi IMproved 7.0aa ALPHA (2005 Mar 25, compiled "
                >
                > in both checking out vim or vim7.

                You must be doing something wrong. The version.h under the "vim"
                checkout was last changed 9 months ago.

                --
                Far back in the mists of ancient time, in the great and glorious days of the
                former Galactic Empire, life was wild, rich and largely tax free.