Re: Fixes for the Vim spanish translation

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27, 2005
      Pierre Habouzit wrote:
      > Le Dim 27 Mars 2005 15:56, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña a écrit :
      >
      >>Maybe the problem here really is that there wasn't (at the time)
      >>proper communication between the vim package maintainers and the vim
      >>developers.
      >

      > to be just correct, the thing is that nobse that was the only maintainer
      > of vim, has request for help, and we are now a team, and we are dealing
      > with long standing bugs. (there was around 200 bugs open on vim, there
      > are now less than 100).
      >
      > And every time we close a bug, we Cc: upstream or file maintainer. But
      > when the maintainer of the file has not done anything for a long time,
      > I prefer to Cc: upstream (vim-dev). and here, in the lang tarball, the
      > maintainer of vim is :
      > # FIRST AUTHOR Eduardo F. Amatria <eferna1@...>, 2001.
      > wich looked like outdated information to me, and I also Cc-ed upstream
      > only (like I do in those cases)
      >

      > for the es.po beeing up to date or not, debian base himself on the
      > vim.lang.tar.gz shiped by vim.org, and it is really outdated. It's a
      > too big work to fetch every update on vim.org for every .po, .vim, ...
      > so we only fix things that are reported in the debian BTS.
      >
      > maybe upstream (I mean Bram) may do more releases, or provide "official"
      > patches for them more frequently ? (I don't know, I say maybe some
      > stupidity, I'm not completely used to vim release methods yet).
      >

      > and about the es.po, just tell me wich one I have to integrate, and
      > we'll do it.
      >

      > Cheers,

      Bram could of course explain it better than I, but here's how I
      understand the process of "official" releases and patches:

      - All Vim files are kept on a CVS repository and updated there. Since I
      don't use CVS, I don't know the details.

      - Every release (the current one is 6.3) is accompanied by the
      publication of _all_ its source and runtime files in a number of
      archives; an installer for a pre-compiled W32 distribution is published
      at the same time.

      - Successive bugfixes to a given release are published in the form of
      "patches" which usually affect only the source files. Patches affecting
      runtime files (plugins, helpfiles, ...) do happen but seldom.
      Executables are not re-published by Bram, it's for the individual user
      to recompile them if he wants them. (I make my executables available to
      everyone but they aren't official even though they are produced in
      strict accordance to the official sources and procedures.)

      - For the unstable Vim 7 distribution, the method is slightly different:
      there is again a CVS setup (whose details I do not know); and
      periodically a "snapshot" of all source and runtime files, modified or
      not since the previous snapshot, is published in zip form on the Vim ftp
      server.

      - AFAICT, there have been until now 68 patches to Vim 6.3 and 64
      snapshots of Vim 7.0aa. The patch numbers (if any) but not the snapshot
      number are listed in the ":version" listing; OTOH, the "release date"
      mentioned before the "compile date" in the ":version" listing is
      constant for all patchlevels of 6.3 but varies from one snapshot to the
      next of 7.0aa (for mathematicians: the release date in the ":version"
      listing is a monotonous non-decreasing function of the snapshot number).

      - The page http://users.skynet.be/antoine.mechelynck/vim/compile.htm on
      my site explains in detail how I go about compiling (g)vim(d).exe for W32.