Re: vim7: spell bug and more

  • Mikolaj Machowski
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 23, 2005
      Dnia środa, 23 marca 2005 11:00, Bram Moolenaar napisał:
      > > > The current mechanism is a bit inefficient. But it's fast, and we
      > > > need it to be fast. Loading the spell file can be a bit slow
      > > > though.
      > >
      > > If I open 4 Vims with spellchecking on everything will be slow.
      > > I tried with normal ispell data - it generates 38M Vim dictionary.
      >
      > Are you sure this is a correct dictionary?

      Yes.
      > For English the "'s" item,
      > which can be added to any word, almost halves the number of words.
      > Perhaps something similar can be done for Polish. It's not perfect
      > though, since it allows something like they's.

      No. I lack of dictionary (;) to explain it in extenso but in Polish it
      can not give good results - too many endings, too many declinations. In
      many places it could treat quite common mispells as proper words.
      > > One more thing about loading time: loading of dictionary for Polish
      > > takes 3-4s. For mails/usenet articles it is HUGE penalty - and this is
      > > most often use for spellchecking.
      >
      > More than a second to load a dictionary would already be undesired.
      > I suppose using the engspchk.vim script would be even slower for you.

      Yes. And 3-4s is for minimum (11M) dictionary.
      That's why use of some interface ispell/aspell/myspell would be good
      thing. They don't require loading of dictionary.

      m.