Re: Profiling on Win32

  • A. J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
      Bill McCarthy wrote:
      > On Fri 4-Mar-05 7:37am -0600, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      >

      >>Thus profiling of scripts and functions should now also work well on
      >>Win32. See ":help :profile". Requires the latest Vim 7 snapshot.
      >

      > Apparently it requires a fresh compile/link with HUGE.
      >
      > :help huge<tab> shows nothing. Are there any other
      > implications to using HUGE? Greping through the help
      > files, it appears that profiling is the only feature
      > that requires HUGE. Now that it works, why not remove
      > this restriction?

      "Big" features include everything that is required for "normal" use of
      Vim. IMHO profiling is "extra", not required in most "production"
      environments, even though it _is_ useful in many "debugging"
      environments. I regard it as a proper choice for huge-but-not-big. See
      also my other post of a few minutes ago.

      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
        Bill McCarthy wrote:

        > On Fri 4-Mar-05 7:37am -0600, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        >
        > > Thus profiling of scripts and functions should now also work well on
        > > Win32. See ":help :profile". Requires the latest Vim 7 snapshot.
        >
        > Apparently it requires a fresh compile/link with HUGE.

        Right.

        > :help huge<tab> shows nothing. Are there any other
        > implications to using HUGE? Greping through the help
        > files, it appears that profiling is the only feature
        > that requires HUGE.

        Yes. Finally there is some use for it. I forgot to add the feature
        below ":help :version", I'll do that now.

        > Now that it works, why not remove this restriction?

        In other words: why not always enable all features? It's a way to give
        the builder a choice what he wants to include. The normal/big/huge
        choice is just a rough selection, you can make detailed choices in the
        Makefile and/or feature.h.

        --
        GALAHAD: No, please. Please! I can defeat them! There's only a hundred.
        GIRLS: He will beat us easily. We haven't a chance.

      • Bill McCarthy
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
          On Fri 4-Mar-05 3:39pm -0600, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          >> Now that it works, why not remove this restriction?
          >
          > In other words: why not always enable all features?
          > It's a way to give the builder a choice what he wants
          > to include. The normal/big/huge choice is just a
          > rough selection, you can make detailed choices in the
          > Makefile and/or feature.h.

          No, only profiling - since it now works for nearly
          everyone. But forget that, choice is better.

          After a clean, I tried

          make -f Make_ming.mak FEAT_PROFILE=y ...

          That didn't add the profiling feature. Of course

          make -f Make_ming.mak FEATURES=HUGE ...

          worked fine, but I was hoping to select just one
          feature.

          I know that currently, HUGE only adds the feature I
          want to try. But someday it may include features I
          don't want. Am I doing this incorrectly?

          Bill
        • A. J. Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 4, 2005
            Bill McCarthy wrote:
            > On Fri 4-Mar-05 3:39pm -0600, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            >

            >>>Now that it works, why not remove this restriction?
            >>
            >>In other words: why not always enable all features?
            >>It's a way to give the builder a choice what he wants
            >>to include. The normal/big/huge choice is just a
            >>rough selection, you can make detailed choices in the
            >>Makefile and/or feature.h.
            >

            > No, only profiling - since it now works for nearly
            > everyone. But forget that, choice is better.
            >
            > After a clean, I tried
            >
            > make -f Make_ming.mak FEAT_PROFILE=y ...
            >
            > That didn't add the profiling feature. Of course
            >
            > make -f Make_ming.mak FEATURES=HUGE ...
            >
            > worked fine, but I was hoping to select just one
            > feature.
            >
            > I know that currently, HUGE only adds the feature I
            > want to try. But someday it may include features I
            > don't want. Am I doing this incorrectly?

            I think defines-to-Make and defines-to-Compiler are two different kinds
            of beast. FEATURES=HUGE is a "Make" define and so you can include in the
            Make command-line. To define FEAT_PROFILE (a "Compile" define) for a
            "Big" build (which normally doesn't have it) you may have to fiddle with
            the source files, probably in feature.h

            HTH,
            Tony.
          • Alejandro López-Valencia
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 5, 2005
              Bill McCarthy wrote:
              .

              > After a clean, I tried
              >
              > make -f Make_ming.mak FEAT_PROFILE=y ...
              >
              > That didn't add the profiling feature. Of course
              >
              > make -f Make_ming.mak FEATURES=HUGE ...
              >
              > worked fine, but I was hoping to select just one
              > feature.
              >
              > I know that currently, HUGE only adds the feature I
              > want to try. But someday it may include features I
              > don't want. Am I doing this incorrectly?

              You've got to be devious....

              make -f Make_cyg.mak FEATURES=BIG "DEFINES+=-DFEAT_PROFILE"

              Works for me. Make_cyg.mak and Make_ming.mak are different in many
              respects, but both use the DEFINES+= trick.

            • Bill McCarthy
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2005
                On Sat 5-Mar-05 4:11pm -0600, Alejandro López-Valencia wrote:

                > You've got to be devious....
                >
                > make -f Make_cyg.mak FEATURES=BIG "DEFINES+=-DFEAT_PROFILE"
                >
                > Works for me. Make_cyg.mak and Make_ming.mak are different in many
                > respects, but both use the DEFINES+= trick.

                With Make_ming.mak, that eliminates many of the -Dxxxxx
                that were defined :-(

                After looking more closely at the make file, as Bram
                suggested, I found that the following works fine:

                make -f Make_ming.mak "FEATURES=BIG -DFEAT_PROFILE" ...

                Bill