Re: todo.txt questions

  • Nazri Ramliy
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 2, 2005
      On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 01:06:16PM -0800, Ryan Paul wrote:
      > As far as Vimshell is concerned.... I never knew about it until your
      > initial message on the subject. When I figured out what it is, I got
      > really excited. Now that I have tried it, i'm really impressed, and I
      > would like to see it included in Vim via a compilation option at some
      > point in the future when it can support GUI mode. I can understand why
      > Bram is hesitant to include it, but it really is a great patch, and it
      > would be a shame not to include it. I wouldnt build any other really
      > important features on top of it because of it's lack of portability, but
      > I really think that in and of itself, it's a valuable addition that many
      > GNU/Linux users would benefit from having.

      I second this.

      I remember a post to this list not too long ago from Vince Negri
      saying something about Bram being hesitant to accept patches that
      extend vim funtionality beyond what a text editor should do, and that
      if provided with enough reasons he would finally accept it.

      I understand Bram's rationale for being so, but...

      IMHO vimshell is the best patch that has came up lately and that to
      see it works effortlessly, one command away (:vimshell), just makes
      vim much more impressive and makes me able to do my work more
      efficiently. I tested vimshell by creating a new shell buffer in vim,
      then start a new vim inside that shell, and then run vimshell, and
      then start vim inside and then start a new vimshell buffer and then
      start vim... deeply nested and it didn't hitch at all.

      (This is not meant to show that vimshell doesn't have any bugs, but
      rather to show that vimshell integrate with vim very, very well).

      I'm using ratpoison as my window manager and if I were to use screen
      to achieve what vimshell does then it would make it as if I was using
      emacs as there are more keystrokes that I'd have to press in order to
      get a shell window with a vim session beside/below it (C-t for
      ratpoison, C-a for screen, C-w for vim window buffers). Heh.. maybe
      it's my choice of window manager that burden my fingers with
      keypresses.

      Here's hoping more people would give a good reason why vimshell should
      be included in mainstream vim :)

      Kind regards,

      Nazri