Re: A Change in Pattern Matching?

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
      Johnny Blaze wrote:

      > Call me crazy, but I could have sworn
      >
      > :echo matchstr('aaaaa', '\(\%(a\| \)\+\)')
      > aaaaa
      >
      > instead Vim 7 (as of 2/28) returns:
      >
      > :echo matchstr('aaaaa', '\(\%(a\| \)\+\)')
      >
      > since \%(\) groups, but doesn't create submatches, whereas \(\)
      > does.... If I change \+ to * it returns as expected, which seems to
      > confirm my suspicions as * matches 0 to many (greedy), while \+
      > matches 1 to many (greedy).
      >
      > Any ideas?

      This is very likely caused by my change to allow potentially empty
      matches inside the \(\). I'll look into it (after I fix my burned down
      PC :-( ).

      269. You wonder how you can make your dustbin produce Sesame Street's
      Oscar's the Garbage Monster song when you empty it.

    • Johnny Blaze
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 1, 2005
        On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 22:56:32 +0100, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:

        > This is very likely caused by my change to allow potentially empty
        > matches inside the \(\). I'll look into it (after I fix my burned down
        > PC :-( ).

        Thank you sir.

        --

        . o O pyromancer O o .