Re: background detection for screen.linux

  • Alejandro López-Valencia
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2005
      Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
      > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:26:44 -0600 (CST) Alejandro López-Valencia
      > <dradul@...> wrote:
      > | Yes and most of the time. "cygwin" is the termcap/terminfo definition
      > | used by the default shell installed by the cygwin installer, bash
      > | running on top of the Win32 console; it's been in Thomas Dickey's
      > | terminfo database for several years now. The win32 console defaults to
      > | a black background unless you change it by hand, so you can expect it
      > | to be dark most of the time.
      >
      > But *can* it be changed? I have a patch floating around that adds in
      > automatic background colour detection for *rxvt-based terminals, but I
      > was holding it off until I could get my head around xterm background
      > reporting and include that too...

      Yes, it can be changed. In WinNT the system's command processor,
      cmd.exe, accepts pseudo-ANSI codes in an environmental variable. E.g.,
      "set COLOR=70" gives the default console colors, white (really dirt
      gray) on black. I don't remeber well how to do it in DOS based systems
      (Win9x) but the procedure involves using ANSI escape codes. The way
      Cygwin uses the console is by running the shell (bash by default, can be
      others) on top of a native win32 shell process. You can use other
      programs as Cygwin console; I myself prefer to use rxvt (in native GDI
      mode), other people use the ReactOS console or a special putty port that
      supports Cygwin.

      You can't expect the average windows user to know how to do it (change
      colors or any of the alternative methods outlined above). I think
      that having automatic detection code would be a great asset.