Re: VIM7: Error building snapshot (CVS 2/26 9:00PM CST)

  • jamessan@jamessan.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2005
      On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 10:46:29AM -0600, Bill McCarthy wrote:

      > [snip]
      >
      > Bram or any CVS expert: Having patched feature.h in my
      > local CVS files copy, I will now get something like:
      >
      > M src/feature.h
      >
      > whenever I run CVS again. That is, I won't know when
      > it is updated again. Is this true?

      You will know when it has been updated. If there is a new revision in
      CVS when you perform an update, CVS will say something about merging the
      two revisions. It will look something like:

      $ cvs update driver.c
      RCS file: /usr/local/cvsroot/yoyodyne/tc/driver.c,v
      retrieving revision 1.4
      retrieving revision 1.6
      Merging differences between 1.4 and 1.6 into driver.c

      Depending on whether the merge was successful or not, the last couple
      lines will vary. "M driver.c" indicates that everything worked fine.
      "C driver.c" indicates that there were conflicts which need to be
      resolved. You can also use the "cvs diff" command to compare your local
      copy to what the server has as its current copy.

      > As a workaround, I'm keeping a feature.h.new (patched)
      > and feature.h.orig (unpatched) so if I see other
      > changes, I can delete feature.h, rerun CVS and compare
      > the downloaded feature.h to my extra files.
      >
      > Is this how others deal with such patches?

      I tend to keep changes as is and let CVS tell me when things change. If
      a conflict does occur, CVS will make a copy of your original local copy
      as .#driver.c.1.4 (from the example above) and the current driver.c will
      denote what conflicts need to be looked at.

      Some useful URLs:
      CVS Manual:
      https://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.19/cvs.html
      Description of the output from cvs update:
      https://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.19/cvs_16.html#SEC156
      Example of a conflict:
      https://www.cvshome.org/docs/manual/cvs-1.11.19/cvs_10.html#SEC85

      James