Re: vim won't compile on Mac OS X.3

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2005
      The following was posted in the vim@ list. I'm forwarding it to the
      vim-dev list where it belongs.

      Cynthia Johnson wrote:
      > I downloaded vim 6.3 source and tried to compile it on a Mac OS
      > computer running Mac OS 10.3. I want to compile it so that it runs on
      > the X11 system that comes with mac os 10.3.
      >
      > I ran ./configure with no problem.
      >
      > When I ran make, I got the following problem:
      >
      > gcc -c -I. -Iproto -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DFEAT_GUI_ATHENA
      > -I/usr/X11R6/include -g -O2 -fno-strength-reduce
      > -I/usr/X11R6/include -o objects/gui_x11.o gui_x11.c
      > gcc: Internal error: Segmentation fault (program
      > /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/cpp-precomp)
      > Please submit a full bug report.
      > See <URL:http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter> for instructions.
      > make[1]: *** [objects/gui_x11.o] Error 1
      > make: *** [first] Error 2
      >
      > This looks to be a problem with Mac OS, not with vim, but I thought I'd
      > post this problem anyway in hopes of getting a solution.
      >
      > If I cannot compile from source, I will have to install a binary package.

    • Ali Akcaagac
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 20, 2005
        On Sat, 2005-02-19 at 21:58 +0100, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
        > The following was posted in the vim@ list. I'm forwarding it
        > to the vim-dev list where it belongs.

        > > gcc: Internal error: Segmentation fault (program
        > > /usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/cpp-precomp)
        > > Please submit a full bug report.
        > > See <URL:http://developer.apple.com/bugreporter> for instructions.

        This looks more like a broken C compiler to me which is generating
        crappy code and thus segfaulted. Newer gcc 3.x compilers are known to
        generate buggy PowerPC code. Specially if you sum up all the
        optimization that gcc generates, altivec support, CPU mnemonic and so
        on. I would first say that the person who had this issue removes the -g
        for debugsymbols and the -O2 option from the Makefiles (or change -O2 in
        -O0 or something). Furthermore -fno-strength-reduce can be removed as
        well only to test whether the compiler continues the operation or not.

        greetings,

        Ali Akcaagac