Re: Content filtering

  • GI
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
      That first line password is a neat idea :) However it might reject posts
      of people who quote previous messages and bottom post.

      How about if we all had to add a custom header with a password?
      Something like

      x-vimdev-password: Help Uganda

      Any message without this header field (and correct password) is
      automatically rejected.

      Mutt users can easily set up a hook to add custom headers to specific
      addresses. I'm sure this is possible with other clients too. This should
      block almost all viruses for a while. The only trouble is telling n00b's
      to add this header before posting. Maybe a note on the webpage or
      something similar (if this idea get's adopted).

      :)

      GI

      --
      Alternative definitions of terms from Math Lectures:
      HINT: The hardest of several possible ways to do a proof.
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
        GI wrote:
        > That first line password is a neat idea :) However it might reject posts
        > of people who quote previous messages and bottom post.
        >
        > How about if we all had to add a custom header with a password?
        > Something like
        >
        > x-vimdev-password: Help Uganda
        >
        > Any message without this header field (and correct password) is
        > automatically rejected.
        >
        > Mutt users can easily set up a hook to add custom headers to specific
        > addresses. I'm sure this is possible with other clients too. This should
        > block almost all viruses for a while. The only trouble is telling n00b's
        > to add this header before posting. Maybe a note on the webpage or
        > something similar (if this idea get's adopted).
        >
        > :)
        >
        > GI

        Some other clients, maybe. All others, even all other widely-used ones,
        definitely not. I know it's anathema to mention Outlook Express in front
        of mutt users, but AFAIK its users can add _no_ custom headers to its
        emails. About Mozilla Thunderbird (which I'm now using), I'm less sure;
        but I would need directions about how to go about it. Since there are
        many different mail clients out there, and since not all Vim users are
        computer nerds, such a measure would require adding as many pages of
        directions to the Vim-online "mailing lists" page as there are mail
        clients with different methods of adding custom headers. I wouldn't
        advise it.

      • Gautam Iyer
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
          On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 05:08:29PM +0100, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:

          > GI wrote:
          >
          > > How about if we all had to add a custom header with a password?
          > > Something like
          > >
          > > x-vimdev-password: Help Uganda
          > >
          > > Any message without this header field (and correct password) is
          > > automatically rejected.
          > >
          > > Mutt users can easily set up a hook to add custom headers to specific
          > > addresses. I'm sure this is possible with other clients too. This should
          > > block almost all viruses for a while. The only trouble is telling n00b's
          > > to add this header before posting. Maybe a note on the webpage or
          > > something similar (if this idea get's adopted).
          >
          > Some other clients, maybe. All others, even all other widely-used ones,
          > definitely not. I know it's anathema to mention Outlook Express in front
          > of mutt users, but AFAIK its users can add _no_ custom headers to its
          > emails. About Mozilla Thunderbird (which I'm now using), I'm less sure;
          > but I would need directions about how to go about it. Since there are
          > many different mail clients out there, and since not all Vim users are
          > computer nerds, such a measure would require adding as many pages of
          > directions to the Vim-online "mailing lists" page as there are mail
          > clients with different methods of adding custom headers. I wouldn't
          > advise it.

          Oops. I guess I've only used mutt ... ! You're right, it would probably
          be a nightmare for Outlook Express users.

          On the plus side, I've not recieved spam on the vim-dev list for a
          while. Maybe it get's caught by my spam filter here though ... :)

          GI

          --
          Twenty Ways To Maintain A Healthy Level of Insanity
          6. In the memo field of all your checks, write "For Sexual Favors"
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
            On Friday, February 04, 2005 4:55 am, you wrote:
            > Another mailing list I'm on rejects much virus-spam because it rejects
            > posts... + from unregistered users (spoofed register user spam gets
            > through) + HTML email
            > + email with attachments
            > + email over 100 lines long
            > + first line keyword (a "password" that must be present on the first line
            > of the body of the text-only post)

            One more to add to the list, which I've found to be helpful:
            - Messages that have more than 3/5th their total length as quoted text.

            This will cut down on the quote spam from those who carelessly hit the reply
            button and quote an entire message before their reply.

            --
            Anthony Gorecki
            Ectro-Linux Foundation