Re: Content filtering

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
      Anthony Gorecki wrote:

      > Would one of the list admins please be kind enough to either block
      > unsubscribed posting to the list (if it isn't already), or configure
      > the mail server's content filters to block out these viruses that are
      > being sent through the mailing list? I've received nothing but spam
      > since I subscribed a few days ago. Thanks.

      The list is already for subscribers only. But garbage gets through
      anyway.

      Setting up spam and virus filtering is quite a job. There were a few
      ideas, but it still hasn't happened. I'll look into it again.

      15. Five days in advance, tell your friends you can't attend their
      party because you're not in the mood.

    • Eljay Love-Jensen
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
        Hi everyone,

        Another mailing list I'm on rejects much virus-spam because it rejects posts...
        + from unregistered users (spoofed register user spam gets through)
        + HTML email
        + email with attachments
        + email over 100 lines long
        + first line keyword (a "password" that must be present on the first line
        of the body of the text-only post)

        It could reject all spam and all viruses if we used PKCS authentication /
        verification. But that technology is obtrusive (for both the sender and
        receiver) and not widely embraced by the user community nor by mail client
        software. If we went that route, the recipients of the mail (i.e., us)
        would prefer that the list software would strip out the authentication but
        only allow postings to the list that had the appropriate digital
        signature. [I'm not expecting this one any time soon.]

        The best solution is to make SMTP obsolete by coming up with a better, more
        secure (without any obtrusiveness), more trustworthy protocol that can
        vouchsafe / verify / authenticate the email authenticity. Alas, the
        problem appears harder than expected, at first blush, and/or SMTP is too
        deeply entrenched to be rooted out easily.

        HTH,
        --Eljay

        PS: the first line password is "Hi everyone,".
      • Steve Hall
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
          On Fri, 2005-02-04 at 06:55 -0600, Eljay Love-Jensen wrote:
          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > Another mailing list I'm on rejects much virus-spam because it
          > rejects posts...
          [...]
          > + first line keyword (a "password" that must be present on the first
          > line of the body of the text-only post)
          [...]
          > PS: the first line password is "Hi everyone,".

          Interesting concept, except that it would be less obtrusive as the
          last line or word.

          --
          Steve Hall [ digitect mindspring com ]

          My voice is my password.
        • Ciaran McCreesh
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
            On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 06:55:57 -0600 Eljay Love-Jensen <eljay@...>
            wrote:
            | + email with attachments

            Like patches or GPG/PGP signatures?

            | + email over 100 lines long

            Like inlined code examples?

            Don't think either of those criteria would be suitable for this list.

            --
            Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Fluxbox, shell tools)
            Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
            Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm
          • Eljay Love-Jensen
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
              Hi Ciaran,

              LJ>| + email with attachments

              >Like patches or GPG/PGP signatures?

              Yes, including those. (Which is why I mentioned the point about PKCS
              authentication.)

              Patches would have to be posted on one's website (that presumes we all have
              websites) with a URL embedded in the email to the patch.

              LJ>| + email over 100 lines long

              >Like inlined code examples?

              Yes. Lengthy inlined code examples would have to be posted on one's
              website with a URL embedded in the email to the code example. This has the
              unfortunate side-effect of link-rot for those URLs in the mailing list
              archives.

              >Don't think either of those criteria would be suitable for this list.

              *shrug* They were filters on another list I'm on, which has worked very
              well for keeping down the spam and viruses -- on that list.

              Sincerely,
              --Eljay
            • GI
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
                That first line password is a neat idea :) However it might reject posts
                of people who quote previous messages and bottom post.

                How about if we all had to add a custom header with a password?
                Something like

                x-vimdev-password: Help Uganda

                Any message without this header field (and correct password) is
                automatically rejected.

                Mutt users can easily set up a hook to add custom headers to specific
                addresses. I'm sure this is possible with other clients too. This should
                block almost all viruses for a while. The only trouble is telling n00b's
                to add this header before posting. Maybe a note on the webpage or
                something similar (if this idea get's adopted).

                :)

                GI

                --
                Alternative definitions of terms from Math Lectures:
                HINT: The hardest of several possible ways to do a proof.
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
                  GI wrote:
                  > That first line password is a neat idea :) However it might reject posts
                  > of people who quote previous messages and bottom post.
                  >
                  > How about if we all had to add a custom header with a password?
                  > Something like
                  >
                  > x-vimdev-password: Help Uganda
                  >
                  > Any message without this header field (and correct password) is
                  > automatically rejected.
                  >
                  > Mutt users can easily set up a hook to add custom headers to specific
                  > addresses. I'm sure this is possible with other clients too. This should
                  > block almost all viruses for a while. The only trouble is telling n00b's
                  > to add this header before posting. Maybe a note on the webpage or
                  > something similar (if this idea get's adopted).
                  >
                  > :)
                  >
                  > GI

                  Some other clients, maybe. All others, even all other widely-used ones,
                  definitely not. I know it's anathema to mention Outlook Express in front
                  of mutt users, but AFAIK its users can add _no_ custom headers to its
                  emails. About Mozilla Thunderbird (which I'm now using), I'm less sure;
                  but I would need directions about how to go about it. Since there are
                  many different mail clients out there, and since not all Vim users are
                  computer nerds, such a measure would require adding as many pages of
                  directions to the Vim-online "mailing lists" page as there are mail
                  clients with different methods of adding custom headers. I wouldn't
                  advise it.

                • Gautam Iyer
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
                    On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 05:08:29PM +0100, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:

                    > GI wrote:
                    >
                    > > How about if we all had to add a custom header with a password?
                    > > Something like
                    > >
                    > > x-vimdev-password: Help Uganda
                    > >
                    > > Any message without this header field (and correct password) is
                    > > automatically rejected.
                    > >
                    > > Mutt users can easily set up a hook to add custom headers to specific
                    > > addresses. I'm sure this is possible with other clients too. This should
                    > > block almost all viruses for a while. The only trouble is telling n00b's
                    > > to add this header before posting. Maybe a note on the webpage or
                    > > something similar (if this idea get's adopted).
                    >
                    > Some other clients, maybe. All others, even all other widely-used ones,
                    > definitely not. I know it's anathema to mention Outlook Express in front
                    > of mutt users, but AFAIK its users can add _no_ custom headers to its
                    > emails. About Mozilla Thunderbird (which I'm now using), I'm less sure;
                    > but I would need directions about how to go about it. Since there are
                    > many different mail clients out there, and since not all Vim users are
                    > computer nerds, such a measure would require adding as many pages of
                    > directions to the Vim-online "mailing lists" page as there are mail
                    > clients with different methods of adding custom headers. I wouldn't
                    > advise it.

                    Oops. I guess I've only used mutt ... ! You're right, it would probably
                    be a nightmare for Outlook Express users.

                    On the plus side, I've not recieved spam on the vim-dev list for a
                    while. Maybe it get's caught by my spam filter here though ... :)

                    GI

                    --
                    Twenty Ways To Maintain A Healthy Level of Insanity
                    6. In the memo field of all your checks, write "For Sexual Favors"
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 4, 2005
                      On Friday, February 04, 2005 4:55 am, you wrote:
                      > Another mailing list I'm on rejects much virus-spam because it rejects
                      > posts... + from unregistered users (spoofed register user spam gets
                      > through) + HTML email
                      > + email with attachments
                      > + email over 100 lines long
                      > + first line keyword (a "password" that must be present on the first line
                      > of the body of the text-only post)

                      One more to add to the list, which I've found to be helpful:
                      - Messages that have more than 3/5th their total length as quoted text.

                      This will cut down on the quote spam from those who carelessly hit the reply
                      button and quote an entire message before their reply.

                      --
                      Anthony Gorecki
                      Ectro-Linux Foundation