Patch for sh syntax file

  • Kevin Ballard
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 5, 2005
      I have a patch here against the sh.vim syntax file included in Vim
      6.3.35 (installed via DarwinPorts). This patch adds support for the $''
      quoting style available in bash as well as fixing shCaseSingleQuote to
      not allow escaped characters (since single-quoting doesn't support them
      anywhere). The $'' change is only applied when exists("b:is_bash")
      because I *believe* it to be bash-only, and the shCaseSingleQuote fix
      is applied everywhere because I *believe* it to apply to sh, bash, and
      ksh.

      Hopefully this list allows attachments (I don't know - I just joined
      for this purpose). If not, I'll follow up with a URL.
    • Kevin Ballard
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
        I posted this almost a month ago and got no response. What does it take
        to get a patch against a syntax file committed, or at least looked at?

        --
        Kevin Ballard
        kevin@...
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
          Odd.. I just tested the patch against my current installation (Vim
          6.3.58 installed via DarwinPorts) and hunks 2-10 are failing, despite
          the syntax file appearing to be unchanged from Vim 6.3.35. I'll try to
          figure out why this is happening, but the important thing is, if I do
          come up with a fixed patch that works against 6.3.58, will someone
          actually look at it and consider committing it?

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
            Ok, nevermind. That was due to a screw-up on my part. Hunk #1 was
            actually invalid (it was changing the Last Updated line at the top, and
            it was invalid because I had opened the patchfile in Vim and my
            auto-Last Updated hook erroneously updated it in the Patchfile), and
            when I re-patched with that fixed I forgot to restore the original. So
            basically, the patch does work once I fix Hunk #1 and actually do the
            patch correctly.

            Here's the patchfile with Hunk #1 fixed.
          • Kevin Ballard
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
              Oh, just to clarify, when I posted the patch to the list I originally
              tried emailing it to the listed maintainer, but that bounced. So please
              don't just dismiss this as noise on the list.

              --
              Kevin Ballard
              kevin@...
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
                Kevin Ballard wrote:

                > I posted this almost a month ago and got no response. What does it take
                > to get a patch against a syntax file committed, or at least looked at?

                Look in the header of the syntax file, the maintainer is mentioned
                there. Not all maintainers read the maillist, you need to send a
                message directly to him. If the maintainer doesn't respond, then you
                can report this on the maillist and try to find a solution.

                --
                A)bort, R)etry, B)ang it with a large hammer

              • Kevin Ballard
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
                  See my followup email - I tried the maintainer a month ago and got a
                  bounce.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 1, 2005
                    Kevin Ballard wrote:

                    > See my followup email - I tried the maintainer a month ago and got a
                    > bounce.

                    Charles Campbell is a regular poster on the Vim maillists, you should
                    have no trouble finding his new e-mail address.

                    6. You refuse to go to a vacation spot with no electricity and no phone lines.