RE: Empty registers

    Message 1 of 72 , Jan 3, 2005
      Keith Roberts wrote:

      > I agree that there should be a way to make a register "disappear". This
      > would be useful for shortening the list of registers you have to look
      > thru for something meaningful. OTOH, :let @a="" is an easy
      > workaround.

      I'll make Vim 7 not store empty registers in the viminfo file. Note
      that a register containing an empty line is not empty: "p" would insert
      an empty line.

      > But *much* more important to me would be a way to *unmark* a mark.
      > Right now the best you can do is to change it to point to line 1, where
      > marks aren't shown (eg, :0ma {mark}). However, it still clutters up the
      > listing of marks for the buffer, obscuring what you really want to see.
      >
      > I inadvertently had CapsLock on when I wanted to set mark z, so I got 'Z
      > instead.i I use sessions, so the mark is perpetually remembered! I've
      > just realized that the only way to get rid of it is to close my gvim
      > instance, edit the session file in another instance, then reactivate the
      > original instance/session. Pain in the @$$, folks!! How difficult
      > would it be to create an :unmark {mark} command?!? Seems to me it
      > shouldn't be more than a couple hours work for someone who knows the
      > code ...

      Vim 7 has the ":delmarks" command for this:

      :delm[arks] {marks} Delete the specified marks. Marks that can be deleted
      include A-Z and 0-9. You cannot delete the ' mark.

      --
      From the classified section of a city newspaper:
      Dog for sale: eats anything and is fond of children.

    • Jens Paulus
      Message 72 of 72 , Jan 14, 2005
        Hi Bram,

        On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 12:30:35 +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > > > now after trying the same with the :colorscheme command it is obvious
        > > > that there is the same problem like when using the :source command. Try
        > > > it out, open the command line window with the q: command and load
        > > > different color schemes in a row, load each of them using the command
        > > > line window.
        > >
        > > please let me know if this is reproduceable when you do it.
        >
        > No, I don't see any problems with colors.

        actually this is surprising. Here is again what causes problems.

        q:icolorscheme blue<Esc><CR>
        q:icolorscheme default<Esc><CR>
        q:icolorscheme darkblue<Esc><CR>
        q:icolorscheme default<Esc><CR>