List of bugs, suggestions and such

  • Jens Paulus
    Message 1 of 72 , Dec 29, 2004
      Hi developers,

      now I send the current version of my list. Although I know it is not a
      very good style to send a list and not one message for each item. May
      this list be useful.

      1. Sentence is getting deleted
      Doing das or dis in a sentence which only consists of a . also deletes
      the sentence before it. For example, here is a sentence. . With the
      cursor on the . the das or dis commands delete the sentence before it
      which should not happen.

      2. Problems with the explorer
      Obviously there is a bug in the file explorer. When setting variables
      let g:explStartBelow=1 the result is correct. But when the setting is
      let g:explStartRight=1 there is no change compared to how it was before.
      And when pressing ? in the file explorer and then i there is a scrolling
      although it should not scroll here. Practical would be if the file
      explorer would also listen to a variable g:explNameToReg and if it is
      set not load the selected file into a buffer but only write the file
      name into a register.

      3. Yanking a line problems
      When yanking an indented line that starts with a TAB character with the
      yy command while the cursor is on this TAB character causes incorrect
      behaviour depending on where the cursor was before. For example, if the
      cursor is on the previous line which is not indented and the yanking of
      the following indented line happens by doing 0jyy the cursor position in
      the ruler stops displaying a difference of text column and screen column
      although there is one. If the yanking of the indented line happens by
      doing 0ljyy the following k command fails to preserve the column
      position the cursor had last time when leaving the previous line.
      Compare the 0jyyk and 0ljyyk command sequences, the first one correctly
      puts the cursor back to column 1 but the other one does not put it back
      to column 2 although it should.

      4. Keeping the column position
      Normally the j and k commands keep the text column and not the screen
      column position. The CTRL-F and CTRL-B commands should do this as well.
      To make the 0 command do this I map it to the bar command.

      5. Blockwise visual mode on closed fold
      Starting blockwise visual mode on a closed fold highlights text which is
      not shown in the visual area. Normally blockwise visual mode starts with
      one character being selected.

      6. Opening a new window
      What I do not understand is why when opening a new window in a window
      that only has eight lines and the cursor is in a line below the first
      line not all lines are visible anymore but are covered by the new
      window. In my opinion all lines of a buffer should always be visible if
      the window height allows it.

      7. Formatting option
      When the fo option contains the a flag and one character is replaced by
      a newline character no formatting is done. This seems to be a bug but
      should be kept as a way to produce short lines. The problem with this
      formatting is that it otherwise does not allow to produce short lines if
      the w flag is not used.

      8. String options
      There should be a way to toggle flags in string options. For example
      set invfo=a could toggle the a flag in the fo option. To toggle
      formatting here is a function to toggle flags in an option.
      fun Toggle(opname,flag)
      exe "let string=&".a:opname
      if string=~#a:flag
      exe "set ".a:opname."-=".a:flag
      else
      exe "set ".a:opname."+=".a:flag
      endif
      unlet string
      exe "set ".a:opname."?"
      endf
      map <F5> :call Toggle("fo","a")<CR>
      map! <F5> <C-O>:call Toggle("fo","a")<CR>

      9. Putting text in the command line
      When writng a function in a buffer and trying to source the yanked lines
      with :<C-R>" or :<C-R><C-R>" what I see is that it does not work because
      the linebreaks are not correctly understood.

      10. Empty registers
      Empty registers should not be saved in viminfo file and not be displayed
      in the :reg output.

      11. Inserting marks
      normally inserting text before a mark moves the mark accordingly, but
      mai<CR><Esc> does not move the mark.

      12. Changing colors
      When changing the color scheme in gvim and maybe also in vim with q:so
      $VIMRUNTIME/colors/file.vim the text background is not set correctly and
      ggVGV needs to be done to set it right.

      13. Closed fold
      With set fdm=marker and set cms=\ \ \"%s the quote character is shown on
      a closed fold which should not happen.

      14. Using folds
      With set fdc=4 and pressing zi should show the fold levels.

      15. Possible features
      An :r! version of the :r command could leave the cursor at the last line
      of the inserted text.

      16. In visual mode the . command is not used. It could be used to repeat
      the last movement or text object. For exampe Vap.......d could
      delete eight paragraphs. This is faster than first counting the
      paragraphs and doing V8ap or doing Vapapapapapapapapd then.

      17. Special mapping
      There could be a special mapping for Insert mode to provide a
      functionality just like the CTRL-X key which remains active until a
      character is inserted. So with a mapping like this
      ispecialmap <C-G><C-N>
      ispecialmap <C-G><C-P>
      ispecialmap <C-G><C-F>
      ispecialmap <C-G><C-B>
      pressing <C-G><C-F><C-B><C-N><C-P> would do what in the normal mapping
      case <C-G><C-F><C-G><C-B><C-G><C-N><C-G><C-P> does.

      18. Repeat in Insert mode
      As suggested earlier there could be a repeat function in Insert mode for
      the last or next typed key or last or next key combination.

      The list ends here.

      Best regards

      Jens
    • Jens Paulus
      Message 72 of 72 , Jan 14, 2005
        Hi Bram,

        On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 12:30:35 +0100, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

        > > > now after trying the same with the :colorscheme command it is obvious
        > > > that there is the same problem like when using the :source command. Try
        > > > it out, open the command line window with the q: command and load
        > > > different color schemes in a row, load each of them using the command
        > > > line window.
        > >
        > > please let me know if this is reproduceable when you do it.
        >
        > No, I don't see any problems with colors.

        actually this is surprising. Here is again what causes problems.

        q:icolorscheme blue<Esc><CR>
        q:icolorscheme default<Esc><CR>
        q:icolorscheme darkblue<Esc><CR>
        q:icolorscheme default<Esc><CR>