Re: strong(er) encryption for Vim

  • Jason Holt
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 18, 2004
      On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

      > I still have a remark in the todo list to look into an AES
      > implementation by Jason Holt. He also made a patch to lock memory, so
      > that readable text won't get swapped to disk.

      I'm still around, and I have some students that looked into improving my code.
      IMHO, the most versatile solution would be pipes that don't create files on
      disk, so that people can pipe to their favorite app. That seems to be tough
      due to the really nasty huge function that handles piping. But my second
      favorite idea is to include a simple AES and SHA1 implementation and have vim
      spit out GPG-compatible files using just those algs.

      The AES code I submitted isn't really worthwhile yet since it's a hacked-up
      CTR mode with no MAC, so it does zero integrity checking. But it's a start.
      I even emailed gpg-dev to see if I could get an example of the file format so
      I could just plug in the ciphertext and have a gpg-ready file, but didn't come
      up with anything. Incidentally, a minimalist library which does GPG for just
      one or two ciphers might be really useful in lots of applications.

      -J