Re: :c* (eg, :cfirst, :cp) fails if buffer is :bw'ed

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 17, 2004
      Suresh Govindachar wrote:

      > The following error message comes up if
      >
      > a) after issuing a :cfile <errorfile> command,
      > b) one :bw's the first file and
      > c) then issues the :cfirst command:
      >
      > E92: Buffer 170 not found
      >
      > I understand the reason for the error message, but isn't
      > it a case of bad design? In this situation, rather than
      > searching based on buffer number, shouldn't the :cfirst
      > command do something along the lines of the :drop command?

      No, commands like changing directory will affect the remembered file
      name. That's why a buffer is used to store it. There are other
      solutions, but this was a convenient method.

      > Because of the :cfile command, the quick-fix mechanism knows
      > the file it needs to open and so it should not fail with E92
      > when it finds that the buffer of the file it previously
      > opened has now been wipedout.

      The buffers are used to store the file name, thus if you wipe out a
      buffer that is being used somewhere you cause trouble. That's why the
      help for ":bwipe" mention "Don't use this unless you know what you are
      doing.". You can use ":bdelete" instead, so that the file name is still
      remembered.

      --
      ** Hello and Welcome to the Psychiatric Hotline **
      If you are obsessive-compulsive, please press 1 repeatedly.