Re: vimgrep command - a seeming problem

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 8, 2004
      On Sun, November 7, 2004 21:40, Yegappan Lakshmanan said:
      > Hi Ron,
      Hi.

      > Does the normal Vim search using "/" or "?" or search() work for
      > the UTF8 pattern/string?

      Indeed it does.

      I think you need to do whatever vim does when reading in a file -- including
      converting encodings. Otherwise your grep will not do "the right thing" with
      respect to these situations.

      --
      My GPG public key is at http://ronware.org/
      fingerprint: 8130 734C 69A3 6542 0853 CB42 3ECF 9259 AD29 415D
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 19, 2004
        Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

        > Dnia pi±tek, 5 listopada 2004 02:36, Yegappan Lakshmanan napisa³:
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > The attached patch implements the vimgrep command. This patch
        > > is against the Vim 6.3 sources.
        > >
        > > The syntax of the command is:
        > > :vimgrep <pattern> <filename(s)>
        > >
        > That's great!
        >
        > One organizational thing: wouldn't it be better to make it an option to
        > :grep command and 'grepprg' option - "builtin" - like for 'term' option?
        >
        > Note: this is question to Bram and other users so don't hurry to make it
        > real :)

        When using ":grep" and setting 'grepprg' to something specific to use
        internal grepping, it's easier to type the command. But it will not be
        compatible with previous versions, since the Vim pattern works a bit
        different from the external grep program.

        When using ":vimgrep" it's easy to switch between external and internal
        grepping. The only disadvantage appears to be that the command is
        longer to type.

        It would also be possible to do both: Supply ":vimgrep" that always does
        it internally, and allow setting 'grepprg' to make ":grep" work
        internally. That at least makes ":grep" work for systems that don't
        have an external grep command. And scripts can use ":vimgrep", as it
        works the same way on all systems.

        --
        "Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history that man can
        never learn anything from history." (George Bernard Shaw)

      • Mikolaj Machowski
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 19, 2004
          Dnia piątek, 19 listopada 2004 17:01, Bram Moolenaar napisał:
          > > One organizational thing: wouldn't it be better to make it an option
          > >
          > > :grep command and 'grepprg' option - "builtin" - like for 'term'
          > > : option?
          > >
          > When using ":grep" and setting 'grepprg' to something specific to use
          > internal grepping, it's easier to type the command. But it will not be
          > compatible with previous versions, since the Vim pattern works a bit
          > different from the external grep program.
          >
          > When using ":vimgrep" it's easy to switch between external and internal
          > grepping. The only disadvantage appears to be that the command is
          > longer to type.

          This is not small disadvantage.

          > It would also be possible to do both: Supply ":vimgrep" that always does
          > it internally, and allow setting 'grepprg' to make ":grep" work
          > internally. That at least makes ":grep" work for systems that don't
          > have an external grep command. And scripts can use ":vimgrep", as it
          > works the same way on all systems.

          Yes, this the best solution. Leave 'grepprg' default as is but
          provide option to call grep internally.

          m.