vimgrep command - a seeming problem

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2004
      Yegappan,

      :vimgrep works fine for normal text.

      But I have a bunch of files encoded in CP1255, and my encoding is UTF8. So
      when I edit the files, vim converts them back and forth.

      :vimgrep <utf8string> [cp1255files]

      doesn't work; it returns nothing, even when searching for text I *know* is in
      the files.

      Help!
      --
      My GPG public key is at http://ronware.org/
      fingerprint: 8130 734C 69A3 6542 0853 CB42 3ECF 9259 AD29 415D
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2004
        Quoting Yegappan Lakshmanan <yegappan@...>:
        > The attached patch implements the vimgrep command. This patch
        > is against the Vim 6.3 sources.
        >
        > The syntax of the command is:
        >
        > :vimgrep <pattern> <filename(s)>
        >
        > You can search for any Vim reg-ex patterns in the specified
        > files. I will add the documentation, after all the
        > comments/suggestions are incorporated.

        Hello!

        Just wanted to point out that it works well with <errsign.vim>, too
        (http://vim.sourceforge.net/scripts/script.php?script_id=1027).

        That puts a highlight on the matching lines and flags them with
        >> signs. (to use it you need +signs)

        Regards,
        Chip Campbell
      • Yegappan Lakshmanan
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 7, 2004
          Hi Ron,

          --- Ron Aaron <ron@...> wrote:

          > Yegappan,
          >
          > :vimgrep works fine for normal text.

          Good to hear that.

          > But I have a bunch of files encoded in CP1255, and my encoding is UTF8. So
          > when I edit the files, vim converts them back and forth.
          >
          > :vimgrep <utf8string> [cp1255files]
          >
          > doesn't work; it returns nothing, even when searching for text I *know* is in
          > the files.

          Does the normal Vim search using "/" or "?" or search() work for
          the UTF8 pattern/string?

          As I am not familiar with Unicode, we need to wait for someone
          (Bram?) familiar with it to help us here.

          - Yegappan

          Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page.
          www.yahoo.com
        • Ron Aaron
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 8, 2004
            On Sun, November 7, 2004 21:40, Yegappan Lakshmanan said:
            > Hi Ron,
            Hi.

            > Does the normal Vim search using "/" or "?" or search() work for
            > the UTF8 pattern/string?

            Indeed it does.

            I think you need to do whatever vim does when reading in a file -- including
            converting encodings. Otherwise your grep will not do "the right thing" with
            respect to these situations.

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 19, 2004
              Mikolaj Machowski wrote:

              > Dnia pi±tek, 5 listopada 2004 02:36, Yegappan Lakshmanan napisa³:
              > > Hi all,
              > >
              > > The attached patch implements the vimgrep command. This patch
              > > is against the Vim 6.3 sources.
              > >
              > > The syntax of the command is:
              > > :vimgrep <pattern> <filename(s)>
              > >
              > That's great!
              >
              > One organizational thing: wouldn't it be better to make it an option to
              > :grep command and 'grepprg' option - "builtin" - like for 'term' option?
              >
              > Note: this is question to Bram and other users so don't hurry to make it
              > real :)

              When using ":grep" and setting 'grepprg' to something specific to use
              internal grepping, it's easier to type the command. But it will not be
              compatible with previous versions, since the Vim pattern works a bit
              different from the external grep program.

              When using ":vimgrep" it's easy to switch between external and internal
              grepping. The only disadvantage appears to be that the command is
              longer to type.

              It would also be possible to do both: Supply ":vimgrep" that always does
              it internally, and allow setting 'grepprg' to make ":grep" work
              internally. That at least makes ":grep" work for systems that don't
              have an external grep command. And scripts can use ":vimgrep", as it
              works the same way on all systems.

              --
              "Hegel was right when he said that we learn from history that man can
              never learn anything from history." (George Bernard Shaw)

            • Mikolaj Machowski
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 19, 2004
                Dnia piątek, 19 listopada 2004 17:01, Bram Moolenaar napisał:
                > > One organizational thing: wouldn't it be better to make it an option
                > >
                > > :grep command and 'grepprg' option - "builtin" - like for 'term'
                > > : option?
                > >
                > When using ":grep" and setting 'grepprg' to something specific to use
                > internal grepping, it's easier to type the command. But it will not be
                > compatible with previous versions, since the Vim pattern works a bit
                > different from the external grep program.
                >
                > When using ":vimgrep" it's easy to switch between external and internal
                > grepping. The only disadvantage appears to be that the command is
                > longer to type.

                This is not small disadvantage.

                > It would also be possible to do both: Supply ":vimgrep" that always does
                > it internally, and allow setting 'grepprg' to make ":grep" work
                > internally. That at least makes ":grep" work for systems that don't
                > have an external grep command. And scripts can use ":vimgrep", as it
                > works the same way on all systems.

                Yes, this the best solution. Leave 'grepprg' default as is but
                provide option to call grep internally.

                m.