Re: Patch to add the cbuffer command

  • Madhu Raghupatruni
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
      * Keith Roberts <kroberts@...> [11/02/2004 15:35]:

      Too many files or buffers generated unnecessarily. Typically you do
      many greps and you really want to store a few of these searches for
      later use.

      > Or maybe something associated with quickfix that performs a tee before
      > (as) the data is transformed for the quickfix window?
      >
      > Given some known association, that could be used to "get back" to the
      > original data.

      How about storing the errorformat or grepformat that generated the
      quickfix with the vim quickfix datastructures and regenerating the
      original error buffer ?

      > -Keith

    • Dave Silvia
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
        Unless you're married to the idea of using quickfix, try Vimgrep. It has
        various commands that allow capture of grep-ed output to named buffers.
        There are the bare bones commands and associated 'ToBuf' commands:

        Vimgrep VimgrepToBuf search for pattern in files
        VimgrepBufs VimgrepBufsToBuf search for pattern in open buffers
        Vimfind VimfindToBuf search for files

        And you don't need outside grep/find utilities. Everything is contained in
        Vim.

        See:

        http://www.vim.org/account/profile.php?user_id=5397 vimgrep.vim vsutil.vim

        FYI: