RE: Patch to add the cbuffer command

  • Keith Roberts
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004

      Probably a silly idea, but maybe adding \|tee {filename} to 'grepprg'
      could be made to work? [or instead of {filename} it could be {bufname},
      where said buffer is created as "nofile" or the like]

      Or maybe something associated with quickfix that performs a tee before
      (as) the data is transformed for the quickfix window?

      Given some known association, that could be used to "get back" to the
      original data.

      -Keith
    • Madhu Raghupatruni
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
        * Keith Roberts <kroberts@...> [11/02/2004 15:35]:

        Too many files or buffers generated unnecessarily. Typically you do
        many greps and you really want to store a few of these searches for
        later use.

        > Or maybe something associated with quickfix that performs a tee before
        > (as) the data is transformed for the quickfix window?
        >
        > Given some known association, that could be used to "get back" to the
        > original data.

        How about storing the errorformat or grepformat that generated the
        quickfix with the vim quickfix datastructures and regenerating the
        original error buffer ?

        > -Keith

      • Dave Silvia
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2004
          Unless you're married to the idea of using quickfix, try Vimgrep. It has
          various commands that allow capture of grep-ed output to named buffers.
          There are the bare bones commands and associated 'ToBuf' commands:

          Vimgrep VimgrepToBuf search for pattern in files
          VimgrepBufs VimgrepBufsToBuf search for pattern in open buffers
          Vimfind VimfindToBuf search for files

          And you don't need outside grep/find utilities. Everything is contained in
          Vim.

          See:

          http://www.vim.org/account/profile.php?user_id=5397 vimgrep.vim vsutil.vim

          FYI: