Re: feature-request: USER_VIMRC, SYSTEM_VIMRC, USER_PLUGIN_DIR, SYSTEM_PLUGIN_DIR

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
      Yakov Lerner <qlerner@...> wrote:
      [...]
      > Talking about unix and ~/.vimrc: I don't see why $VIMRC can't be
      > "$HOME/.vimrc" whether this
      > file exists or not. In both cases, ":edit $VIMRC" will have the
      > expected result, no ? I don't really understand
      > what's alternative that $VIMRC can be set to other than
      > "$HOME/.vimrc", even if ~/.vimrc doesn't exist.
      [...]

      1) On some systems such as Windows, there is a "2nd user vimrc" location
      compiled-in (in this case $VIM/_vimrc). Windows systems with no $HOME
      defined (usually Win 9x systems) use that. (On such systems, $VIM/vimrc is
      the "system" vimrc and $VIM/_vimrc is the "user" vimrc.)

      2) On multi-boot systems, one may want to keep a single vimrc with if has()
      statements in it. It can be called either _vimrc or .vimrc and (with the
      proper settings) both Windows vim and Unix vim will find it. Of course it
      must be on a filesystem readable by all concerned OSes, thus not an ext2 or
      ext3 filesystem if Windows is involved.

      3) When the -u command-line argument is used to direct vim to a
      "project-specific" vimrc, then $VIMRC should IMHO reflect that rather than
      the default location.