apparent bug combining mapping and abbreviations

  • Moshe Kaminsky
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
      Hi,

      I don't know if this really deserves to be called a bug, but here it is:
      If I map <Space> in insert mode, abbreviations are not expanded when I
      press <Space>. For example

      :inoremap <Space> <Space>
      :iab st such that

      The st will not expand after the space.

      I came across this while editing a latex file with the latex suite,
      which indeed maps <Space>, but abbreviations did work for me with latex
      a few months ago, so I believe it is caused by a change introduced
      during this period.

      I'm using version 6.3.25 on linux.

      Thanks,
      Moshe

      -- Douglas Adams

      Moshe Kaminsky <kaminsky@...>
      Home: 08-9456841
    • Yakov Lerner
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
        Moshe Kaminsky wrote:

        >Hi,
        >
        >I don't know if this really deserves to be called a bug, but here it is:
        >If I map <Space> in insert mode, abbreviations are not expanded when I
        >press <Space>. For example
        >
        >:inoremap <Space> <Space>
        >:iab st such that
        >
        >The st will not expand after the space.
        >
        >I came across this while editing a latex file with the latex suite,
        >which indeed maps <Space>, but abbreviations did work for me with latex
        >a few months ago, so I believe it is caused by a change introduced
        >during this period.

        You observation is correct. Exactly this issue was discussed on the vim
        list several months ago (look up abbreviation-related threads).
        Also, the behaviour changed not only for space but also for all
        characters that end potential abbreviation.

        As far as I remeber, { Bram responded that indeed some patch in 6.2.*
        made abbreviations
        non-expanding if you remap space, and that this will be improved in vim7 }.

        Yakov
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
          Moshe Kaminsky wrote:

          > I don't know if this really deserves to be called a bug, but here it is:
          > If I map <Space> in insert mode, abbreviations are not expanded when I
          > press <Space>. For example
          >
          > :inoremap <Space> <Space>
          > :iab st such that
          >
          > The st will not expand after the space.
          >
          > I came across this while editing a latex file with the latex suite,
          > which indeed maps <Space>, but abbreviations did work for me with latex
          > a few months ago, so I believe it is caused by a change introduced
          > during this period.
          >
          > I'm using version 6.3.25 on linux.

          Starting with Vim 6.3 abbreviations are not triggered by "noremapped"
          keys.

          This problem was half-fixed by patch 6.3.023 for when the Space key is
          mapped and remapping is disabled when the rhs starts with the lhs. But
          you use ":inoremap", this means the normal meaning of the Space key is
          disabled, it no longer triggers abbreviation expansion. If you would
          have used ":imap" then patch 6.3.023 fixes the problem.

          --
          Creating the world with Emacs: M-x let-there-be-light
          Creating the world with Vim: :make world

        • Antoine J. Mechelynck
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
            Moshe Kaminsky <kaminsky@...> wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I don't know if this really deserves to be called a bug, but here it
            > is: If I map <Space> in insert mode, abbreviations are not expanded
            > when I press <Space>. For example
            >
            > > inoremap <Space> <Space>
            > > iab st such that
            >
            > The st will not expand after the space.
            >
            > I came across this while editing a latex file with the latex suite,
            > which indeed maps <Space>, but abbreviations did work for me with
            > latex a few months ago, so I believe it is caused by a change
            > introduced during this period.
            >
            > I'm using version 6.3.25 on linux.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Moshe
            >
            > --
            > I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
            > -- Douglas Adams
            >
            > Moshe Kaminsky <kaminsky@...>
            > Home: 08-9456841

            You're right. I am using gvim 6.3.028 on Win XP. With

            :inoremap <Space> <Space><Left><Right>
            :iab st such that

            then, in Insert mode, starting a line as st followed by a space does not
            expand the abbreviation, but pressing Ctrl-] or <Esc> immediately after the
            abbreviation expands it. Feels to me lika a bug, but could it be a feature?
            (And if a feature, how does it work?)

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
              Antoine Mechelynck wrote:

              > You're right. I am using gvim 6.3.028 on Win XP. With
              >
              > :inoremap <Space> <Space><Left><Right>
              > :iab st such that
              >
              > then, in Insert mode, starting a line as st followed by a space does not
              > expand the abbreviation, but pressing Ctrl-] or <Esc> immediately after the
              > abbreviation expands it. Feels to me lika a bug, but could it be a feature?
              > (And if a feature, how does it work?)

              It's not clear if disabling remapping explicitly also means that
              abbreviations should not be triggered. And you can work around it:

              :imap <Space> <Space><Left><Right>
              :iab st such that

              Since the RHS of the mapping starts with the LHS, remapping is
              automatically disabled. Patch 6.3.023 takes care that abbreviations
              still work in this situation.

              62. If your doorbell rings, you think that new mail has arrived. And then
              you're disappointed that it's only someone at the door.