Re: Hallo!

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
      Sybren wrote:

      > About the graphical window: how shall I create it? Is there some
      > generic windowing API? Is something prefered? My personal preference
      > is GTK in combination with Python, but I don't know if that's suitable
      > for this job. What do you think?

      Since there are so many GUI libraries, and there is no single one that's
      available (almost) everywhere, it's probably best to use an external
      program for this. That can then use whatever GUI it needs.

      When I was writing Agide wxPython appeard to be a very good choice.
      PyGTK wasn't working right then. Don't know if this is still so.
      wxWindows appears to be very good.

      46. Your wife makes a new rule: "The computer cannot come to bed."

    • sybren@thirdtower.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
        On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 07:39:17PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > Since there are so many GUI libraries, and there is no single one
        > that's available (almost) everywhere, it's probably best to use an
        > external program for this. That can then use whatever GUI it needs.

        Ok.

        > When I was writing Agide wxPython appeard to be a very good choice.
        > PyGTK wasn't working right then. Don't know if this is still so.
        > wxWindows appears to be very good.

        wxWindows also has the added benefit that it'll use the system's
        native widget set - GTK on Linux and other UNIX systems, Windows on
        ehm... Windows, and I'm sure it'll use something good looking on Mac.
        I'll try and make it as modular as possible, with a wxPython module as
        a start.

        Sybren
        ---- Registered Linux user #349923 --- http://counter.li.org/ ----
      • Dan Fabrizio
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
          Hello,

          I posted a message a week ago about adding graphical drawing routines to VIM
          maybe using Tk and I'm not sure if this message is in response to my
          original request or not but I thought I would bring it up again.

          What I would like to do is use a tcl/vim script to parse a text file which
          includes lists of graphical objects and draw these objects on a graphical
          canvas.

          Sybren,

          Are you gone to add a graphical python interface to VIM? I have been
          looking at wxPython also and don't have any preferences at this point so
          just having this capability would be a great feature.

          Dan

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
            On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 09:46:19AM -0400, Dan Fabrizio wrote:
            > I posted a message a week ago about adding graphical drawing
            > routines to VIM maybe using Tk and I'm not sure if this message is

            It isn't. It's something I thought of before joining this list.

            > Are you gone to add a graphical python interface to VIM? I have
            > been looking at wxPython also and don't have any preferences at this
            > point so just having this capability would be a great feature.

            What I'm planning is to add some sort of graphical window outside of
            VIM, so graphical programs can work more or less side-to-side with
            VIM.