Re: Hallo!

  • sybren@thirdtower.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
      On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 05:29:48PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > I would not want to see the result in Vim itself, but in a separate
      > window (with perhaps ways to control the display, e.g., scrolling
      > and paging). Perhaps with some way to position the preview window
      > relative to Vim. But avoiding that the viewer becomes part of Vim
      > itself or that Vim has to manage windows.

      I agree to the fullest.

      > For Agide (part of the A-A-P project) I made an interface for this,
      > but it's very primitive and requires Python. Not more than an
      > example at this moment.

      I've installed A-A-P from CVS and Agide via A-A-P. Seems to work well.
      I'll study the code and see how much I can find out about it's
      workings.

      About the graphical window: how shall I create it? Is there some
      generic windowing API? Is something prefered? My personal preference
      is GTK in combination with Python, but I don't know if that's suitable
      for this job. What do you think?

      Sybren
      ---- Registered Linux user #349923 --- http://counter.li.org/ ----
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
        Sybren wrote:

        > About the graphical window: how shall I create it? Is there some
        > generic windowing API? Is something prefered? My personal preference
        > is GTK in combination with Python, but I don't know if that's suitable
        > for this job. What do you think?

        Since there are so many GUI libraries, and there is no single one that's
        available (almost) everywhere, it's probably best to use an external
        program for this. That can then use whatever GUI it needs.

        When I was writing Agide wxPython appeard to be a very good choice.
        PyGTK wasn't working right then. Don't know if this is still so.
        wxWindows appears to be very good.

        46. Your wife makes a new rule: "The computer cannot come to bed."

      • sybren@thirdtower.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
          On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 07:39:17PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Since there are so many GUI libraries, and there is no single one
          > that's available (almost) everywhere, it's probably best to use an
          > external program for this. That can then use whatever GUI it needs.

          Ok.

          > When I was writing Agide wxPython appeard to be a very good choice.
          > PyGTK wasn't working right then. Don't know if this is still so.
          > wxWindows appears to be very good.

          wxWindows also has the added benefit that it'll use the system's
          native widget set - GTK on Linux and other UNIX systems, Windows on
          ehm... Windows, and I'm sure it'll use something good looking on Mac.
          I'll try and make it as modular as possible, with a wxPython module as
          a start.

          Sybren
          ---- Registered Linux user #349923 --- http://counter.li.org/ ----
        • Dan Fabrizio
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
            Hello,

            I posted a message a week ago about adding graphical drawing routines to VIM
            maybe using Tk and I'm not sure if this message is in response to my
            original request or not but I thought I would bring it up again.

            What I would like to do is use a tcl/vim script to parse a text file which
            includes lists of graphical objects and draw these objects on a graphical
            canvas.

            Sybren,

            Are you gone to add a graphical python interface to VIM? I have been
            looking at wxPython also and don't have any preferences at this point so
            just having this capability would be a great feature.

            Dan

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
              On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 09:46:19AM -0400, Dan Fabrizio wrote:
              > I posted a message a week ago about adding graphical drawing
              > routines to VIM maybe using Tk and I'm not sure if this message is

              It isn't. It's something I thought of before joining this list.

              > Are you gone to add a graphical python interface to VIM? I have
              > been looking at wxPython also and don't have any preferences at this
              > point so just having this capability would be a great feature.

              What I'm planning is to add some sort of graphical window outside of
              VIM, so graphical programs can work more or less side-to-side with
              VIM.