Re: graphical elements in gvim (Was: Hallo!)

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2004
      sybren@... wrote:
      > Hallo VIM-mensen!
      >
      > Ik heb me net aangemeld op de vim-dev lijst. Net op de Free Software
      > Bazaar van SANE 2004 heb ik met Bram overlegd over het toevoegen van
      > grafische elementen in iig gvim. Mijn persoonlijke doel is om tijdens
      > het bewerken van LaTeX formules een gerenderde versie van deze formule
      > meteen in beeld te hebben. Bram had hier al uitgebreidere, meer
      > algemene ideeƫn over i.c.m. A-A-P. Hopelijk kunnen we deze thread
      > gebruiken om hier meer over te discussiƫren.
      >
      > Nog een vraagje m.b.t. deze mailing-list: hoe wordt er gedacht over
      > PGP signing? Persoonlijk sign ik al mijn mails met PGP/MIME, maar als
      > het algemeen vervelend wordt bevonden doe ik dat niet op deze lijst.
      >
      > Groetjes!
      > Sybren
      > --
      > The problem with the world is stupidity. Not saying there should be a
      > capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the
      > safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
      > ---- Registered Linux user #349923 --- http://counter.li.org/ ----

      Il hoop dat je het Engels verstaat, want niet iedereen op deze mailing-lijst
      verstaat het Nederlands.

      Question 1 (Grafical elements in Vim's GUI): As gvim stands now, the part of
      the display showing the file(s) being edited is pure plaintext (and in a
      fixed-width font at that). I don't think that will change in any foreseeable
      future, but I may be wrong, especially if you want to go yourself to the
      trouble of programming it and integrating it into the existing Vim code.
      There are other graphical elements though, nl. the toolbar icons. A default
      set is compiled into gvim and you can change them at run- (well, startup)
      time. I don't know the details.

      Question 2 (PGP signing in the ML): some people do, most don't. It hasn't
      been much discussed lately. I believe your decision not to sign list emails
      is a friendly one but that's just my personal opinion.

      NB: I changed the "Subject" lines because "Hallo!" might be discarded
      unopened by some -- it looks too much like what viruses use.

    • sybren@thirdtower.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2004
        On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 12:10:29AM +0200, Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
        > Il hoop dat je het Engels verstaat, want niet iedereen op deze
        > mailing-lijst verstaat het Nederlands.

        No problem - I've also re-sent my initial message in English. I read &
        write more English than Dutch anyway, so that's no problem.

        > Question 1 (Grafical elements in Vim's GUI): As gvim stands now, the
        > part of the display showing the file(s) being edited is pure
        > plaintext (and in a fixed-width font at that). I don't think that
        > will change in any foreseeable future, but I may be wrong,
        > especially if you want to go yourself to the trouble of programming
        > it and integrating it into the existing Vim code. There are other
        > graphical elements though, nl. the toolbar icons. A default set is
        > compiled into gvim and you can change them at run- (well, startup)
        > time. I don't know the details.

        Bram told me about an idea to create some sort of overlay-window from
        a plugin (or something similar). That way, the text component can stay
        the same, and we could still be able to add small graphical elements.

        > Question 2 (PGP signing in the ML): some people do, most don't. It
        > hasn't been much discussed lately. I believe your decision not to
        > sign list emails is a friendly one but that's just my personal
        > opinion.

        Ok - as long as there is no real objection I'll just sign them.

        Sybren
        ---- Registered Linux user #349923 --- http://counter.li.org/ ----