Hallo!

  • sybren@thirdtower.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 29, 2004
      Hallo VIM-mensen!

      Ik heb me net aangemeld op de vim-dev lijst. Net op de Free Software
      Bazaar van SANE 2004 heb ik met Bram overlegd over het toevoegen van
      grafische elementen in iig gvim. Mijn persoonlijke doel is om tijdens
      het bewerken van LaTeX formules een gerenderde versie van deze formule
      meteen in beeld te hebben. Bram had hier al uitgebreidere, meer
      algemene ideeƫn over i.c.m. A-A-P. Hopelijk kunnen we deze thread
      gebruiken om hier meer over te discussiƫren.

      Nog een vraagje m.b.t. deze mailing-list: hoe wordt er gedacht over
      PGP signing? Persoonlijk sign ik al mijn mails met PGP/MIME, maar als
      het algemeen vervelend wordt bevonden doe ik dat niet op deze lijst.

      Groetjes!
      Sybren
      ---- Registered Linux user #349923 --- http://counter.li.org/ ----
    • sybren@thirdtower.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 29, 2004
        Hi VIM-people!

        I've just subscribed to the vim-dev list. Just at the Free Software
        Bazaar of SANE 2004 Amsterdam I talked with Bram about the addition of
        graphical elements in GVim. My personal goal is to get, while editing LaTeX
        formulas, a rendered version of just this formula on screen. Bram had
        a more general idea about this, in combination with A-A-P. I hope to
        use this thread for discussing this subject.

        A little question about this mailing list. What is the general opinion
        about PGP signing? I always sign my mails using PGP/MIME, but if this
        is a problem on this list I won't.

        Greetings!
        Sybren

        PS: Sorry for the initial Dutch post ;-)
        ---- Registered Linux user #349923 --- http://counter.li.org/ ----
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
          Sybren wrote:

          > I've just subscribed to the vim-dev list. Just at the Free Software
          > Bazaar of SANE 2004 Amsterdam I talked with Bram about the addition of
          > graphical elements in GVim. My personal goal is to get, while editing
          > LaTeX formulas, a rendered version of just this formula on screen.
          > Bram had a more general idea about this, in combination with A-A-P. I
          > hope to use this thread for discussing this subject.

          My idea is that it's common to want to preview text that is input for
          processing in some way. I would not want to see the result in Vim
          itself, but in a separate window (with perhaps ways to control the
          display, e.g., scrolling and paging). Perhaps with some way to position
          the preview window relative to Vim. But avoiding that the viewer
          becomes part of Vim itself or that Vim has to manage windows.

          For Agide (part of the A-A-P project) I made an interface for this, but
          it's very primitive and requires Python. Not more than an example at
          this moment.

          > A little question about this mailing list. What is the general opinion
          > about PGP signing? I always sign my mails using PGP/MIME, but if this
          > is a problem on this list I won't.

          I have no opinion on this. I don't use them.

          43. You tell the kids they can't use the computer because "Daddy's got work to
          do" and you don't even have a job.

        • sybren@thirdtower.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
            On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 05:29:48PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > I would not want to see the result in Vim itself, but in a separate
            > window (with perhaps ways to control the display, e.g., scrolling
            > and paging). Perhaps with some way to position the preview window
            > relative to Vim. But avoiding that the viewer becomes part of Vim
            > itself or that Vim has to manage windows.

            I agree to the fullest.

            > For Agide (part of the A-A-P project) I made an interface for this,
            > but it's very primitive and requires Python. Not more than an
            > example at this moment.

            I've installed A-A-P from CVS and Agide via A-A-P. Seems to work well.
            I'll study the code and see how much I can find out about it's
            workings.

            About the graphical window: how shall I create it? Is there some
            generic windowing API? Is something prefered? My personal preference
            is GTK in combination with Python, but I don't know if that's suitable
            for this job. What do you think?

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
              Sybren wrote:

              > About the graphical window: how shall I create it? Is there some
              > generic windowing API? Is something prefered? My personal preference
              > is GTK in combination with Python, but I don't know if that's suitable
              > for this job. What do you think?

              Since there are so many GUI libraries, and there is no single one that's
              available (almost) everywhere, it's probably best to use an external
              program for this. That can then use whatever GUI it needs.

              When I was writing Agide wxPython appeard to be a very good choice.
              PyGTK wasn't working right then. Don't know if this is still so.
              wxWindows appears to be very good.

              46. Your wife makes a new rule: "The computer cannot come to bed."

            • sybren@thirdtower.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2004
                On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 07:39:17PM +0200, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                > Since there are so many GUI libraries, and there is no single one
                > that's available (almost) everywhere, it's probably best to use an
                > external program for this. That can then use whatever GUI it needs.

                Ok.

                > When I was writing Agide wxPython appeard to be a very good choice.
                > PyGTK wasn't working right then. Don't know if this is still so.
                > wxWindows appears to be very good.

                wxWindows also has the added benefit that it'll use the system's
                native widget set - GTK on Linux and other UNIX systems, Windows on
                ehm... Windows, and I'm sure it'll use something good looking on Mac.
                I'll try and make it as modular as possible, with a wxPython module as
                a start.

                Sybren
                ---- Registered Linux user #349923 --- http://counter.li.org/ ----
              • Dan Fabrizio
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
                  Hello,

                  I posted a message a week ago about adding graphical drawing routines to VIM
                  maybe using Tk and I'm not sure if this message is in response to my
                  original request or not but I thought I would bring it up again.

                  What I would like to do is use a tcl/vim script to parse a text file which
                  includes lists of graphical objects and draw these objects on a graphical
                  canvas.

                  Sybren,

                  Are you gone to add a graphical python interface to VIM? I have been
                  looking at wxPython also and don't have any preferences at this point so
                  just having this capability would be a great feature.

                  Dan

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 4, 2004
                    On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 09:46:19AM -0400, Dan Fabrizio wrote:
                    > I posted a message a week ago about adding graphical drawing
                    > routines to VIM maybe using Tk and I'm not sure if this message is

                    It isn't. It's something I thought of before joining this list.

                    > Are you gone to add a graphical python interface to VIM? I have
                    > been looking at wxPython also and don't have any preferences at this
                    > point so just having this capability would be a great feature.

                    What I'm planning is to add some sort of graphical window outside of
                    VIM, so graphical programs can work more or less side-to-side with
                    VIM.