Re: has("tcl") crashes my gvim.exe on Win95

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5 2:40 AM
      Steve Hall <digitect@...> wrote:
      [...]
      > Anyway, I can confirm that the binary compiled by Antoine J.
      > Mechelynck does *not* have this problem. This is possibly because he
      > links Ruby's implementation of TCL (which I used to do) whereas I have
      > lately referenced Active State's installation of TCL since I had a
      > user request it for a reason I can't now remember or locate.
      [...]

      I tried at first to follow your link to "non-Ruby" TCL but I never succeeded
      (broken link, IIRC), so I had to "fall back" to Ruby's TCL. Once my settings
      were set, and seemed to work (compiled with a number of warnings, but
      produced a binary which seemed to function), I left them that way.

    • Moshe Kaminsky
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 5 12:05 PM
        * Steve Hall <digitect@...> [05/09/04 05:47]:
        > [snip]
        > To summarize, here's my questions:
        >
        > o Has anyone else seen has("tcl") crashes in gVim on Windows
        > platforms, especially Win95-98?

        Yes, I had it on Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

        > o What is the root cause of this issue:
        > * Active State TCL distribution
        > * Vim's has("tcl") implementation
        > * Dan Sharp's BCC-TCL stub library
        > * Win95
        > * other

        I saw it with the 'cream' version, and there was no tcl installed, so
        it's either the has('tcl') implementation or the BCC-TCL stub library
        which (as far as I remember) comes with that version.

        > o When did has("tcl") first show up in the syntax/vim.vim found at
        > ftp.vim.org?

        That's were I had the crash. It was about 2 weeks ago.

        Moshe

        > --
        > Steve Hall [ digitect@... ]

        -- Douglas Adams

        Moshe Kaminsky <kaminsky@...>
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 5 12:46 PM
          Moshe Kaminsky wrote:

          > * Steve Hall <digitect@...> [05/09/04 05:47]:
          > > [snip]
          > > To summarize, here's my questions:
          > >
          > > o Has anyone else seen has("tcl") crashes in gVim on Windows
          > > platforms, especially Win95-98?
          >
          > Yes, I had it on Windows 2000 and Windows XP.

          It doesn't crash for me, neither when Tcl support works and when the dll
          can't be found.

          Can someone who can reproduce the crash use a debugger to find out where
          Vim crashes?

          --
          FIRST GUARD: Ah! Now ... we're not allowed to ...
          SIR LAUNCELOT runs him through, grabs his spear and stabs the other

        • Steve Hall
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 6 8:43 PM
            On Sun, 2004-09-05 at 15:46, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > Moshe Kaminsky wrote:
            > > Steve Hall <digitect@...> [05/09/04 05:47]:
            > > >
            > > > To summarize, here's my questions:
            > > >
            > > > o Has anyone else seen has("tcl") crashes in gVim on Windows
            > > > platforms, especially Win95-98?
            > >
            > > Yes, I had it on Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
            >
            > It doesn't crash for me, neither when Tcl support works and when the
            > dll can't be found.
            >
            > Can someone who can reproduce the crash use a debugger to find out
            > where Vim crashes?

            No debugger here, but I can confirm that referencing Ruby's
            implementation of TCL 8.3, rather than ActiveState's 8.4, with the
            appropriate stub by Dan Sharp, does not produce a crash with BCC.

            --
            Steve Hall [ digitect@... ]