Re: Syntax error in $VIMRUNTIME/compiler/xmllint.vim

  • Doug Kearns
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 28 7:33 PM
      Seth,

      On Thu, Aug 26, 2004 at 10:53:51PM +0000, whiteinge.3080444@... wrote:
      > This is my first message, so hello everyone!

      G'day!

      > Two things:
      >
      > complier/xmllint.vim
      > that ships with v6.3 doesn't work (at all), my fix follows.

      Define "doesn't work (at all)". It looks like it doesn't parse the error
      messages from 2.6.x, however, it works with 2.5.x.

      > Lastly, the maintainer's
      > copy <http://mugca.its.monash.edu.au/~djkea2/vim/compiler/xmllint.vim> linked
      > to from the Vim site is horibly out of date (2002 Jul 15).

      It looks like I haven't updated it, and the others, to use the new
      CompilerSet command - thanks for the reminder. This won't stop it
      working though and, other than that, it is the current version.

      > Cheers!
      > --
      > Seth House
      >
      > Complete file temporarily mirrored here: <http://eseth.org/filez/storage/xmllint.vim>

      Thanks.

      > Changes:
      >
      > CompilerSet makeprg=xmllint\ --valid\ --noout\ %

      The '%' is intentionally absent. It allows for more flexible use of the
      plugin, such as passing xmllint something other than the current
      buffer or multiple files.

      It looks as though libxml2 2.6.x has added a space before _some_ of the
      colons in their error messages, as you would... A quick look through the
      source reveals that this is somewhat random. So, in order that we
      maintain backward compatibility with 2.5.x let's just allow the space,
      optionally.

      Try http://mugca.its.monash.edu.au/~djkea2/vim/compiler/xmllint.vim

      <snip>

      Regards,
      Doug
    • whiteinge.3080444@bloglines.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 29 1:40 AM
        Hey Doug.

        Thanks for the reply! Sorry "at all" wasn't very helpful, also
        I didn't think to call it via :make %, and assumed it was a typo :-P

        Thanks
        for the update, it does the trick! Unfortunately there's one other error that
        I've come across that isn't being matched. As I was testing my own errorformat
        strings, I was compiling a list of error messages so you can see an example
        on my copy <http://eseth.org/filez/storage/xmllint.vim> at line 33.

        If
        an element or attribute isn't delcared in the DTD it kicks out another inconsistent
        error!

        This one kind of gave me a headache, my only success was by inserting
        a fourth pair of error/warning matches specifically for this one error. I'm
        not very skilled with regex yet and ultimately chose a lazy errorformat string
        to combat all these differences as you can see.

        Although an inelegant
        fix, could you tell me if errors vs warnings have any bearing in QuickFix?
        The help files don't seem to mention. Maybe you'll be able to work a little
        pattern-matching magic that I couldn't. If not, do you think my lazy method
        holds any merit?

        Thanks, Doug!
        --Seth
      • whiteinge.3080444@bloglines.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2004
          Doug,
          This list is by no means comprehensive! It's just what I've seen personally.
          Look at the comments at the bottom of the following file, I've included `xmllint
          --version` info too.
          Particularly eye-ball line 33, as that message differs
          from most others in a most annoying way.
          http://www.eseth.org/filez/storage/xmllint.vim

          --Seth

          > Do you have a list of the errors you've come across somewhere?
          If so
          > could you forward them on to me.
          > Thanks,
          > Doug
        • Doug Kearns
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 18, 2004
            On Fri, Oct 01, 2004 at 08:34:45PM +0000, whiteinge.3080444@... wrote:
            > Doug,
            > This list is by no means comprehensive! It's just what I've seen personally.
            > Look at the comments at the bottom of the following file, I've included `xmllint
            > --version` info too.
            > Particularly eye-ball line 33, as that message differs
            > from most others in a most annoying way.
            > http://www.eseth.org/filez/storage/xmllint.vim

            Have a look at:
            http://gus.gscit.monash.edu.au/~djkea2/vim/compiler/xmllint.vim

            Regards,
            Doug

            PS. Sorry it looks like my email from last month bounced...
          • whiteinge.3080444@bloglines.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 22, 2004
              Doug,
              That'll do it. Thanks a lot for the update!
              The script link on the
              Vim site may be out of date:
              http://www.vim.org/vimscriptlinks.php
              Cheers!