Re: vim 6.3 errors on sunos 4.1.3_U1

  • Antoine J. Mechelynck
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 9, 2004
      George V. Reilly <george@...> wrote:
      > Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
      >
      > > IMHO, a function like strcmp() should not be emulated in C because
      > > of speed constraints. If you want to rewrite it, OK, but do it in
      > > assembly language (and since assembly is inherently non-portable,
      > > write a different version for each possible processor...). For
      > > example, on the i86 family, I believe that REPE CMPSB is
      > > significantly faster than the loop described above in C, even if
      > > you first have to do a REPNE SCASB to find the null byte.
      > >

      > This fragile approach is worthwhile only if strcmp() is a major
      > bottleneck. Most Vim operations consume minimal amounts of CPU time
      > on a modern gigahertz processor. Even on a decade-old Sparc,
      > rewriting strcmp in assembler is unlikely to yield a noticeable
      > improvement in Vim.

      Vim admittedly spends most of its time waiting for keyboard action. But how
      about commands like :substitute or :helpgrep, which IIUC do quite a lot of
      string comparisons before they return to the wait-for-keyboard state? I
      maintain that whatever the gigaspeed, for something as basic as string
      comparison, you can only afford the fastest of the fast coding.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 31, 2004
        Craig Barkhouse wrote:

        > I don't know how difficult this is to do, but... Maybe the configure
        > script should have a test to see if strcmp() works in the critical
        > scenario (i.e. strings containing 0x80). Then, depending on an
        > #ifdef, either override strcmp() or not.

        A system with a strcmp() that doesn't work???? That is the most stupid
        bug heard off. I don't think it's worth checking for, that system is
        broken. Do we also need to test for bad RAM chips perhaps?

        --
        Two fish in a tank. One says to the other:
        "Do you know how to drive this thing?"