coredump when pasting from xterm

  • Soh Tk-r28629
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 9, 2004
      The stack-trace on my earlier post seem to get messed up somehow (thanks
      To OutLook). Here you go again...

      On SunOS 4.1.3_U1, compiled with gcc v2.8.0, I got a segv fault when trying to paste
      selected text on xterm into gvim. I disabled the signal handler to capture the stack
      trace. Any idea what's happened?

      config options are: --disable-xim --enable-gui=athena
      (gdb) where
      #0 0xef723edc in _XConvertCTToMB ()
      #1 0xef72ff94 in XmbTextPropertyToTextList ()
      #2 0x17a8f4 in clip_x11_request_selection_cb (w=0x2713c0, success=0x1fe370, sel_atom=0xefffec50,
      type=0xefffebf4, value=0x351fb0, length=0xefffebec, format=0xefffebf0) at ui.c:2029
      #3 0xef765f28 in HandleNormal ()
      #4 0xef766230 in HandleSelectionReplies ()
      #5 0xef756998 in CallEventHandlers ()
      #6 0xef756d2c in DispatchEvent ()
      #7 0xef757440 in DecideToDispatch ()
      #8 0xef757620 in XtDispatchEvent ()
      #9 0x17ab10 in clip_x11_request_selection (myShell=0x2713c0, dpy=0x208068, cbd=0x1fafd0) at ui.c:2106
      #10 0x199984 in clip_mch_request_selection (cbd=0x1fafd0) at gui_x11.c:2963
      #11 0x179e8c in clip_gen_request_selection (cbd=0x1fafd0) at ui.c:1443
      #12 0x105d3c in clip_get_selection (cbd=0x1fafd0) at ops.c:5399
      #13 0xfa6f8 in may_get_selection (regname=42) at ops.c:883
      #14 0xffc20 in do_put (regname=42, dir=-1, count=1, flags=2) at ops.c:3097
      #15 0xea050 in do_mouse (oap=0x0, c=-12285, dir=-1, count=1, fixindent=0) at normal.c:2328
      #16 0x24b3c in ins_mouse (c=-12285) at edit.c:6736
      #17 0x1888c in edit (cmdchar=105, startln=0, count=1) at edit.c:1026
      #18 0xf7e0c in invoke_edit (cap=0xeffff798, repl=0, cmd=105, startln=0) at normal.c:8169
      #19 0xf7d88 in nv_edit (cap=0xeffff798) at normal.c:8142
      #20 0xe7300 in normal_cmd (oap=0xeffff838, toplevel=1) at normal.c:1111
      #21 0xa4068 in main_loop (cmdwin=0) at main.c:2181
      #22 0xa3b78 in main (argc=0, argv=0xeffffa44) at main.c:1999
      (gdb)
      [r28629@ixora:~...sunos4]%
    • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2004
        At 05:22 a.m. 09/08/2004, Soh Tk-r28629 wrote:
        >On SunOS 4.1.3_U1, compiled with gcc v2.8.0, I got a segv fault when
        >trying to paste
        >selected text on xterm into gvim. I disabled the signal handler to capture
        >the stack trace.
        >Any idea what's happened?

        I have no solutions but rather several observations:

        1. GCC 2.80 is almost 10 years old. Upgrade; don't use sunfreeware copies
        as they are usually (IMOE) borked, rather compile it yourself (GNU gcc
        3.4.1 is the latest version I think, perhaps you'll need to compile 2.95
        first and then 3.4.1 with the latter. 2.80 may be too obsolete to compile
        3.4.1 directly).

        2. The older SunOS linkers (and I'm talking before Solaris 2.6 a product
        about 6 years newer than the OS you are using) always were problematic.
        Rather use the GNU Binutils. If you can manage, use a development snapshot
        (e.g., I use a 20040725 snapshot). *Don't*, under any circumstance, install
        the GNU Binutils as replacements for the Sun utilities or you will break
        your OS. Rather, compile and install the binutils integrated with GCC so
        that they are installed as *private copies*.

        3. SunOS 4.x is too old! Support was discontinued like in 1995-6, if memory
        serves. See if you can have the OS upgraded to at least Solaris 2.6.

        4. Debian has an excellent Linux distribution that works with your old
        Sparc hardware. If you can't have your OS upgraded, I'd much rather install
        Linux in your box and be able to use a contemporaneous OS and applications
        that can be kept up-to-date till the box dies of old age (which can take
        another ten years, those late 80's and early 90's Sun boxes were made to last).

        Try again and see how that works :-)