Re: problem with polish diacritics: win32-vim63

  • Mikolaj Machowski
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
      Dnia sobota, 3 lipca 2004 01:11, Antoine J. Mechelynck napisaƂ:
      > Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach@...> wrote:
      > > I've got multiple reports and tested it myself.
      > >
      > > It is impossible to insert Polish diacritics in Vim 6.3 win32.
      > > Eg. press <AltGr-a> and got 1. This is not problem of font.
      > > Encoding is detected properly (cp1250), 1 is entered literally
      > > ga returns the same code as simple press of 1.
      > >
      > > Downloading of iconv.dll doesn't help.
      > >
      > > CTRL-^ or various values of 'iminsert' doesn't help also.
      > >
      > > m.
      >
      > Can you enter them by means of digraphs? For instance, does ^Ka; (i.e.,
      > Control-K, letter-a, semicolon) in inssert mode produce the letter
      > e-ogonek?

      a-ogonek :)
      Yes, its possible. :dig shows very long table, like for utf-8 encoding
      and most of these digraphs doesn't work, but those from cp1250 range are
      working.

      > If it does, then the data is represented correctly in gvim's
      > working storage. If it doesn't, then the problem lies deeper.
      >
      > Also, what does gvim answer to
      >
      > set encoding?
      cp1250
      > set termencoding?
      empty
      > set fileencodings?
      ucs-bom
      > set keymap?
      empty
      > set langmap?
      empty

      > Tony.

      m.

      Vim-list(s) Users Map: (last change 10 Mar)
      http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimlist
      VimGDB - http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimgdb
    • Antoine J. Mechelynck
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
        Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach@...> wrote:
        > Dnia sobota, 3 lipca 2004 01:11, Antoine J. Mechelynck napisal:
        > > Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach@...> wrote:
        > > > I've got multiple reports and tested it myself.
        > > >
        > > > It is impossible to insert Polish diacritics in Vim 6.3 win32.
        > > > Eg. press <AltGr-a> and got 1. This is not problem of font.
        > > > Encoding is detected properly (cp1250), 1 is entered literally
        > > > ga returns the same code as simple press of 1.
        > > >
        > > > Downloading of iconv.dll doesn't help.
        > > >
        > > > CTRL-^ or various values of 'iminsert' doesn't help also.
        > > >
        > > > m.
        > >
        > > Can you enter them by means of digraphs? For instance, does ^Ka;
        > > (i.e., Control-K, letter-a, semicolon) in inssert mode produce the
        > > letter e-ogonek?
        >
        > a-ogonek :)
        > Yes, its possible. :dig shows very long table, like for utf-8 encoding
        > and most of these digraphs doesn't work, but those from cp1250 range
        > are working.
        >
        > > If it does, then the data is represented correctly in gvim's
        > > working storage. If it doesn't, then the problem lies deeper.
        > >
        > > Also, what does gvim answer to
        > >
        > > set encoding?
        > cp1250
        > > set termencoding?
        > empty
        > > set fileencodings?
        > ucs-bom
        > > set keymap?
        > empty
        > > set langmap?
        > empty
        > >
        > > Tony.
        >
        > m.

        If you invoke Vim as "gvim -u NONE -U NONE -N", does 'encoding' get set to
        the same value? If it does, try setting the 'keymap' and/or 'langmap'
        options. If it doesn't, I'd suggest also setting 'termencoding' to the
        'encoding' that gets set when gvim is loaded with -u NONE -U NONE -N. To do
        that, find in your vimrc the line that sets 'encoding', and add just before
        it

        if &termencoding == ""
        let &termencoding = &encoding
        endif

        I'd also suggest ":set fileencodings+=cp1250" in any case.

        See
        :help 'encoding'
        :help 'termencoding'
        :help 'fileencodings'
        :help 'keymap'
        :help 'langmap'

        HTH,
        Tony.
      • Mikolaj Machowski
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
          Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach@...> wrote:
          >If you invoke Vim as "gvim -u NONE -U NONE -N", does 'encoding' get set
          >to the same value?

          All options has the same values.

          >If it does, try setting the 'keymap' and/or 'langmap'
          >options.

          For what?
          There is no keymap file for Polish keyboard, it was never necessary.
          Also I have no idea how to create one. Keymap files are for simple
          mappings, eventually for dead keys which for most of Polish users is
          unacceptable.

          >If it doesn't, I'd suggest also setting 'termencoding' to the
          >'encoding' that gets set when gvim is loaded with -u NONE -U NONE -N.
          >To do that, find in your vimrc the line that sets 'encoding', and add
          >just before it

          Doesn't help.

          m.

          Vim-list(s) Users Map: (last change 10 Mar)
          http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimlist
          VimGDB - http://skawina.eu.org/mikolaj/vimgdb
        • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 3, 2004
            At 05:37 p.m. 02/07/2004, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
            >I've got multiple reports and tested it myself.
            >
            >It is impossible to insert Polish diacritics in Vim 6.3 win32.
            >Eg. press <AltGr-a> and got 1. This is not problem of font.
            >Encoding is detected properly (cp1250), 1 is entered literally
            >ga returns the same code as simple press of 1.

            It works for me in W2ksp4 with the 'Polish (Programmers)' keyboard driver
            after I set gvim's buffer encoding to cp1250 (not my system's default
            obviously): <altgr>-a produces an aogonek (u0105, cp1250 codepoint 0xB9).

            I wonder if the keyboard driver installed matches your expectations (the
            keyboard 'Polish (214)' is very different) and if the font you use for
            display contains the actual glyph.