Re: [63] translated help encoding detection problem.

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28, 2004
      Simon Liang wrote:

      > I am having some problem when using translated help files
      > (Chinese). I copied *.cnx file in ~/.vim/doc and did
      > ":helptags ~/.vim/doc" to generated a tags-cn. After that
      > I ":set helplang=cn". But when I actually did ":he" to bring
      > up the help, strange characters got shown though it is
      > the correct file - ~/.vim/doc/help.cnx. I had to do
      > ":set enc=utf-8" and ":e%" to get it shown properly.

      What was 'encoding' set to previously then? Note that help files must
      be either latin1 or utf-8. If you are using a different 'encoding'
      conversion needs to be done, this may fail if you don't have the iconv
      library.

      > I am using vim 6.3.7 (with multi-lang, multi-byte enabled
      > and gtk2 gui) on Slackware 9.1.
      > The same set of file and approach worked fine for gvim
      > under WinXP.

      Perhaps under XP you use a different 'encoding' setting, or the
      conversion works properly here (conversion between codepages and utf-8
      works without iconv library).

      --
      GUARD #2: Wait a minute -- supposing two swallows carried it together?
      GUARD #1: No, they'd have to have it on a line.