Bug with WinXP Docs & Settings path

  • Joel Nothman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2004
      GVim for Windows attempts to store the _viminfo file in path "Documents
      and Settings/Username/".

      On my computer, my documents and settings path is not on C:, rather D: and
      is called D:\WinProfiles.

      When GVim tries to save _viminfo, it attempts to save to
      C:\WinProfiles\_viminfo. Basically, it allows for a different D&S folder
      but, it seems, not a different drive letter!

      Any remedies until the bug is fixed?

      - Joel

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2004
        Joel Nothman wrote:

        > GVim for Windows attempts to store the _viminfo file in path "Documents
        > and Settings/Username/".
        >
        > On my computer, my documents and settings path is not on C:, rather D: and
        > is called D:\WinProfiles.
        >
        > When GVim tries to save _viminfo, it attempts to save to
        > C:\WinProfiles\_viminfo. Basically, it allows for a different D&S folder
        > but, it seems, not a different drive letter!

        Vim uses $HOME or $VIM to store the _viminfo file. It doesn't make up
        path names, something on your system must be causing the confusion.

        > Any remedies until the bug is fixed?

        You can use the "n" item of the 'viminfo' option to specify a file name.
        But if the _viminfo file is in the wrong place, how would Vim find your
        _vimrc file?

        29. Your phone bill comes to your doorstep in a box.