Re: Patch 6.3a.026 (extra)

  • Dan Sharp
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2004
      Antoine J. Mechelynck wrote:
      > Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
      > [...]
      >
      >>I did some work on a bare Windows 98 system yesterday, and it was
      >>really tough to work without all those (Unix) tools that I got used
      >>to. No
      >>command completion or history make it really hard!
      >
      > [...]
      >
      > You told me some time ago that you have 4DOS.COM. It is of course more
      > Dos-like than Unix-like but IIUC it has, amog others, command-line history
      > completion, filename/dirname completion, and (I think) STDERR redirection
      > and a "help" which doesn't compare with Unix "man" or "info" but is better
      > than the nothing there used to be in Dos 3 :-). But it might or might not
      > know about LFN :-( (thus beware of DEL or MOVE if DIR doesn't show them).
      >
      > And even in the oldest of COMMAND.COM I ever knew, you can recall the latest
      > command-line (from cursor to EOL) with F3; edit it by toggling
      > Insert/Replace mode through <Ins>, etc. (There are other "editing keys", but
      > I forgot about them through lack of use). In the COMMAND.COM that comes with
      > W98 you can step through the latest command-line character-wise with <Left>
      > and <Right>. But I agree with you that it's a poor excuse for what I call
      > "history".

      If you load doskey.exe (available from DOS 6 on up) in your autoexec.bat
      file, you can get more command history editing capabilities. The help says:

      ---
      UP and DOWN ARROWS recall commands; ESC clears command line; F7 displays
      command history; ALT+F7 clears command history; F8 searches command
      history; F9 selects a command by number; ALT+F10 clears macro definitions.
      ---

      You can also define macros, which are like aliases under bash, and
      several other things. Once I found it, I couldn't stand using a Dos /
      Windows machine without doskey loaded.

      The WinXP console has the above features built in.

      Dan Sharp