winheight (was RE: Tabs revisited)

  • Vince Negri
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2004
      Ok, I know what's going on now.

      If the options are in _vimrc, then they are in effect by the time the first
      call
      to make_windows() happens. The result is that the computed "maxcount"
      variable comes
      out negative (since there's no room for even one 999-height window) and the
      code tweaks
      that to 2:

      if (maxcount < 2)
      maxcount = 2;

      If the options are set on the command-line or via VimEnter, then in
      make_windows() "maxcount"
      is a large number (since the settings haven't taken effect yet.) So all the
      windows get created, and then on processing the :set commands the layout
      falls into place.

      The key is the computation of "maxcount"

      /* Each window needs at least 'winminheight' lines and a status line. */
      maxcount = (curwin->w_height + curwin->w_status_height
      - (p_wh - p_wmh)) / (p_wmh + STATUS_HEIGHT);

      At startup, (curwin->w_height + curwin->w_status_height) is effectively
      the number of screen lines. From this is subtracted (winheight -
      winminheight),
      the idea being that the resulting maxcount is the number of windows
      possible such that one has "winheight" and the others "winminheight".

      That works fine as long as "winheight" is a "genuine" value, i.e.
      setting it to 25 in a 50-line display. But it breaks down when you
      use a huge value for "winheight" to mean "as big as Vim can manage."

      The same sort of thing explains the behavour of ":all". It calls
      win_split_ins with the WSP_ROOM flag, resulting in the same
      (winheight - winminheight) term being applied:

      if (flags & WSP_ROOM)
      needed += p_wh - p_wmh;

      Although this came to light via the use of -o, it's the :all
      behaviour that is the more significant. In essence, "winheight" is
      fibbing slightly when it says (in the help)

      " Minimal number of lines for the current window. This is not a hard
      minimum, Vim will use fewer lines if there is not enough room."

      because in some circumstances it *is* treated as a hard limit (e.g.
      the processing of the ":all" command.)

      Removing the use of the (p_wh - p_wmh) expression in the two
      places mentioned removes this hard limit behaviour, but maybe it
      has some side effects...?

      Vince