RE: Tabs revisited

    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 1, 2004
      I still didn't get your real name.

      > Is my patch or another fix going to make it into the source?

      It's not clear what problems a fix would create. I rather not change it
      now.

      26. You check your mail. It says "no new messages." So you check it again.

    • Vince Negri
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 1, 2004
        There is something strange happening.

        if I do Benji's
        vim -N -u NONE +"set wh=999 wmh=0 ls=2" -o file1 file2 file3

        Then I get three status lines for the three files.

        *but* if I create a _vimrc which has only the line
        set wh=999 wmh=0 ls=2
        in it, and then do

        vim -N -u _vimrc -o file1 file2 file3

        I only get status lines for file1 and file2.

        Surely those two commands ought to be equivalent?

      • Antony Scriven
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 1, 2004
          Vince Negri wrote:

          > There is something strange happening.
          >
          > if I do Benji's
          > vim -N -u NONE +"set wh=999 wmh=0 ls=2" -o file1 file2 file3
          >
          > Then I get three status lines for the three files.
          >
          > *but* if I create a _vimrc which has only the line
          > set wh=999 wmh=0 ls=2
          > in it, and then do
          >
          > vim -N -u _vimrc -o file1 file2 file3
          >
          > I only get status lines for file1 and file2.
          >
          > Surely those two commands ought to be equivalent?

          Maybe it's something to do with there not being a terminal
          present when the _vimrc is executed?

          au vimenter * set wh=999 wmh=0 ls=2

          works fine.

          Antony
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 1, 2004
            Vince Negri wrote:

            > There is something strange happening.
            >
            > if I do Benji's
            > vim -N -u NONE +"set wh=999 wmh=0 ls=2" -o file1 file2 file3
            >
            > Then I get three status lines for the three files.
            >
            > *but* if I create a _vimrc which has only the line
            > set wh=999 wmh=0 ls=2
            > in it, and then do
            >
            > vim -N -u _vimrc -o file1 file2 file3
            >
            > I only get status lines for file1 and file2.
            >
            > Surely those two commands ought to be equivalent?

            The order of execution is different. Firs the vimrc file is used, then
            the files are loaded, then command arguments are executed. Thus in the
            first example you set 'winheight' after opening the windows.

            That ":all" uses 'winheight' was discussed previously. It's not nice in
            this situation, but useful in others (e.g., to avoid you end up with 12
            one-line windows in a 25 line terminal).

            5. Put decaf in the coffee maker for 3 weeks. Once everyone has gotten
            over their caffeine addictions, switch to expresso.

          • Vince Negri
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 1, 2004
              Bram wrote:

              > That ":all" uses 'winheight' was discussed previously. It's not nice in
              > this situation, but useful in others (e.g., to avoid you end up with 12
              > one-line windows in a 25 line terminal).

              Yes indeed. It's the age-old situation where an option
              (winheight) which was originally for one use (stopping
              annoyingly small windows, as in your example) has been
              creatively (ab)used to do something else - and now we've
              run across a corner case which reveals the underlying
              "hack."

              The tweak I set out in my previous email (changing winheight
              to a true soft limit) allows the "12 one-line windows"
              situation, and isn't 100% back compatible, so it's not
              really satisfactory.

              The only perfect solution (assuming one wants to bother
              creating one) is to stop winheight doing double duty,
              viz:

              Either (a) removing the need for setting winheight to
              a silly number by creating a new option that has the
              effect "I want the current window to take as much space
              as possible, forcing all other windows to winminheight"

              or (b) adding an option which specifies whether
              winheight is a genuinely soft limit (new behaviour) or
              a firm limit (old behaviour)

              or (c) allowing winheight to be set to a -ve value, where
              a negative value is like setting the +ve value but
              as a true soft limit (ugh, I shouldn't have even suggested that...
              now I feel dirty.. ;)

              or (d) allowing a syntax like ":set winheight=max" which
              acts like the option (a) above but avoids creating another
              option (superficially nice, but I don't think any other
              numerical option acts like this so it's likely to be a can
              of worms)

              Note that all of the above *are* backward compatible, which
              is another important consideration.

            • Antoine J. Mechelynck
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 1, 2004
                Vince Negri <vnegri@...> wrote:
                > Bram wrote:
                >
                > > That ":all" uses 'winheight' was discussed previously. It's not
                > > nice in this situation, but useful in others (e.g., to avoid you
                > > end up with 12 one-line windows in a 25 line terminal).
                >
                > Yes indeed. It's the age-old situation where an option
                > (winheight) which was originally for one use (stopping
                > annoyingly small windows, as in your example) has been
                > creatively (ab)used to do something else - and now we've
                > run across a corner case which reveals the underlying
                > "hack."
                >
                > The tweak I set out in my previous email (changing winheight
                > to a true soft limit) allows the "12 one-line windows"
                > situation, and isn't 100% back compatible, so it's not
                > really satisfactory.
                >
                > The only perfect solution (assuming one wants to bother
                > creating one) is to stop winheight doing double duty,
                > viz:
                >
                > Either (a) removing the need for setting winheight to
                > a silly number by creating a new option that has the
                > effect "I want the current window to take as much space
                > as possible, forcing all other windows to winminheight"
                >
                > or (b) adding an option which specifies whether
                > winheight is a genuinely soft limit (new behaviour) or
                > a firm limit (old behaviour)
                >
                > or (c) allowing winheight to be set to a -ve value, where
                > a negative value is like setting the +ve value but
                > as a true soft limit (ugh, I shouldn't have even suggested that...
                > now I feel dirty.. ;)
                >
                > or (d) allowing a syntax like ":set winheight=max" which
                > acts like the option (a) above but avoids creating another
                > option (superficially nice, but I don't think any other
                > numerical option acts like this so it's likely to be a can
                > of worms)
                >
                > Note that all of the above *are* backward compatible, which
                > is another important consideration.

                I was going to say that I thought the situation outlined in the help to be
                the "intended" behaviour, but I had a crash, and by the time my computer was
                up again, there had been tjis exchange between you two, which made me
                reconsider. Vince, I think your proposals have merit, the problem is
                choosing between them. And however silly it may seem, I suppose that there
                might some day arise a situation where having, even (let's go whole hog, and
                in a 50-line VGA terminal) 47 zero-line windows, one single-line window, and
                of course the command-line, would present some utility :-). Of course we can
                set wh=1, but then if one or more windows are closed, or if less than the
                maximum are opened to start with, there should IMO be a way to have the
                current one take up the slack, so to speak.

                At least, if the current ambiguous behaviour (which I personallt don't like,
                but it's not for me to decide) is to be the norm, then it should be
                documented, maybe even at several places, e.g. under 'wh', :all and -o.

                For a "true soft" behaviour of &wh, the max no. of windows is of course the
                integer quotient of (&lines - &ch - (&wmh < 1)) by (&wmh + 1).