Re: Problem with " digit" in latest Vim 6.3 beta

  • George V. Reilly
    Message 1 of 24 , May 30, 2004
      From: "Antoine J. Mechelynck" <antoine.mechelynck@...>
      > > I proposed Bram to use unicows.dll a couple of months ago, and the
      > > issue
      > > came up again last week. The main concern is the ability to do dynamic
      > > think
      > > it is possible?
      >
      > (I might be wrong, but) I suppose it is, by adding a new compiling
      feature,
      > let's say +unicows/dyn or something like that; but IMHO it should remain
      > possible (as it is now) to edit Unicode data even with -unicows (and
      > +multi_byte of course).

      According to
      http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/handson/dev/mslu_announce.mspx (the
      homepage for unicows):
      Does not slow down applications on WinNT/2K/XP - The custom loader
      for unicows.dll is built into unicows.lib and compiled with your
      application. It does not even load MSLU unless you are on a Win95/98/ME
      machine! The technology is similar to the VC++ delayload mechanism, but is
      an independent solution that does not rely on any particular compiler.

      Clearly, there's some smarts built into the unicows.lib stub that you link
      into your application (vim or gvim), which bypasses a direct dependency on
      unicows.dll. Vim should run just fine even if there's no unicows.dll in the
      path on WinNT/2K/XP. Presumably it also runs, somewhat degraded, on
      95/98/Me. This whole paragraph is surmise, and I don't have time to
      experiment for myself in the next few days. I'll try to reach someone at
      Microsoft who should be able to answer this authoritatively.

      --
      Every bride has to learn it's not her wedding but her mother's.
      (Get Witty Auto-Generated Signatures from http://SmartBee.org)