Re: aap and python inconsistant for w98 users

    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2004
      Scott wrote:

      > there's something i've been wanting to complain about, and only now
      > found the time to put it in writing
      >
      > [i use win98 and msvc 6]
      >
      > if i try to set up to obtain vim source using aap, my %PYTHON%
      > environment variable has to be set to the program -- in my case
      > e:\Python23\python.exe

      It also works if you have python.exe in your path, no need to set PYTHON
      then.

      > then, to use the Make_mvc.mak to build gvim, %PYTHON% needs to be
      > reset to e:\Python23 so make can find the proper dll

      For Make_mvc.mak you are supposed to provide the value of PYTHON on the
      command line:

      nmake -f Make_mvc.mak PYTHON=e:\python23

      A flaw of make is that it also uses environment variables, even when you
      don't want this. This can indeed be very annoying.

      > this seems inconsistant and aggravates me -- i am getting aap and the
      > makefile from the same place, yet both use the PYTHON environment
      > variable for entirely different purposes
      >
      > shouldn't aap have chosen a different variable, since the makefile was
      > there first!

      The reason that Aap uses %PYTHON% for the executable is that this
      appears to be the standard way to do it.

      A solution could be that Make_mvc.mak recognizes that PYTHON is the
      python executable and strips the last part of the path.

      --
      The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.
      The goal of nature is to build better mice.