Norwegian translation stored in Subversion + no_NO changes into nb_NO

  • Øyvind A. Holm
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2004
      The Norwegian translation of Vim is now converted from CVS to the
      Subversion version control system. This means the latest (or any
      previous) version of the files can be accessed from the Subversion
      repository at

      http://svn.sunbase.org/repos/norwegian_vim

      New versions of the language files is stored in .tar.gz format at

      http://svn.sunbase.org/repos/norwegian_vim/download/

      Info about the Norwegian translation is still located at

      http://www.sunbase.org/src/vim/norwegian/

      There also is a “problem” which maybe should be solved before the
      6.3 release:

      In Norway we are cursed with the fact that we have two almost similar
      languages — bokmål and nynorsk — and therefore are forced to change the
      no_NO locale into nb_NO. This will generate problems for those using
      either of the locales, some software works with no_NO and some other
      software has changed to the new locale nb_NO. The no_NO is still valid,
      but is changing into an alias for nb_NO. To update Vim to this new
      locale, there are a couple of alternatives:

      Alternative #1:

      1. Rename the *.no files into *.nb
      2. Define no_NO as an alias for nb_NO to ensure that the many systems
      using no_NO is still getting the correct locale.

      Alternative #2:

      1. Keep the *.no file names
      2. Define nb_NO as an alias for no_NO

      I believe alternative #2 is the most painless way to do it, as there
      only needs to be created an internal alias in Vim for no_NO, and no file
      renaming is necessary. But the “correct” way would be alternative #1, as
      the nb_NO in the future are meant to replace the no_NO locale. I do not
      see any major problems with having the *.no file names around, as no_NO
      will be an alias for nb_NO on many systems for several years, but maybe
      a “short and painful” change would be the best to get it out of the way.
      In any case, either nb_NO or no_NO needs to be an alias for the other
      locale for at least a couple of years when both locales are around.

      Regards, ~ +--------,
      Øyvind _~ + ) + ' |/ _ \