Re: undocumented :browse options ? Re: FW: russian translation for vim

  • Benji Fisher
    Message 1 of 22 , May 1, 2004
      On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 06:31:28AM -0500, Alejandro López-Valencia wrote:
      > At 03:44 a.m. 28/04/2004, Jacob Lerner wrote:
      >
      > >Or maybe ':browse let' allows you to do something different with
      > >the output, something that original ':let' won't ? Like, scrolling
      > >the output back or picking a variable from the list ? I doubt it.
      >

      > OK. If browse is a noop, it should behave as such and fail, don't you think?

      Why should it fail? The point of :browse is that it lets us use
      GUI widgets to accomplish something that can also be done without them.
      In the syntax

      :browse frob

      what I really want to accomplish is :frob, not :browse, so it should
      only fail if there is a problem with the :frob command. In other words,
      :browse is a modifier, like :vertical or :verbose, rather than a
      command. The appropriate behavior for a noop modifier is to execute the
      modified command in the ordinary way.

      If :browse were likely to fail, then anyone using it in a script
      would be forced to put in code for what to do then. Ugh.

      HTH --Benji Fisher
    • Alejandro López-Valencia
      Message 2 of 22 , May 1, 2004
        At 06:03 a.m. 01/05/2004, Benji Fisher wrote:

        > > OK. If browse is a noop, it should behave as such and fail, don't you
        > think?
        >
        > Why should it fail? The point of :browse is that it lets us use
        >GUI widgets to accomplish something that can also be done without them.
        >In the syntax
        >
        >:browse frob
        >
        >what I really want to accomplish is :frob, not :browse, so it should
        >only fail if there is a problem with the :frob command. In other words,
        >:browse is a modifier, like :vertical or :verbose, rather than a
        >command. The appropriate behavior for a noop modifier is to execute the
        >modified command in the ordinary way.
        >
        > If :browse were likely to fail, then anyone using it in a script
        >would be forced to put in code for what to do then.

        As VimL has been out for a number of years, of course changing the behavior
        now would be a disaster. Yet, this silent echoing of the next command
        instead of failing with some sort of exception error makes my mental nose
        twitch a bit. But that's just my nose.

        --
        Alejandro López-Valencia
        http://dradul.tripod.com/
        Message 3 of 22 , May 27, 2004
          hey all,

          just wondering if you can use vim to do mathematical operations on contents of
          the buffer.

          ctrl-v (to get the number list)
          ???? to multiply by 1.3
          p to paste back.

          sort of an 'excel lite' - don't need anything fancy, but it sure would be helpful
          to increment numbers automatically (without macros) and/or multiply columns without
          going into the shell or resorting to perl..

          thanks,

          Ed
        • Edward Peschko
          Message 4 of 22 , May 28, 2004
            > aaaaaaa 12 ___
            > aaaaaaa 34 ___
            > aaaaaaa 56 ___
            > aaaaaaa 78 ___
            > ==========================
            > The start column is 10, and the width is 2. so
            > :%s/\%>9c.\{2}/\=( substitute(submatch(0)*13, '\d$', '.&', '') )

            hmm. that's sort of clunky. as opposed to:

            ctrl-v
            (select text to operate on, save in buffer a)
            :opa * 1.3 (or any arbitrary mathematical operation)

            (get same results)

            IMO the above syntax is much easier to use. Magnitudes in fact. I don't know off-hand
            if buffers are integrated into the perl options, but that would be cool too - ie:

            :perl a '$_ * 1.3'

            operating on strings in buffer a would be neat too.

            Ed