Re: Bad UTF8 display on Linux/GTK

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1 1:32 PM
      On Thursday 01 April 2004 01:18 pm, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > Hmm, perhaps you have the wcwidth() function. Patch 6.2.404 uses it if
      > it's available. That would mean your system has a broken wcwidth()
      > function. Search for wcwidth() in src/mbyte.c.

      That's the culprit!

      I put the following at the top of mbyte.c after the header files, and gvim
      works again:

      #undef __STDC_ISO_10646__

      --
      My GPG public key is at http://ronware.org/
      fingerprint: 4E91 06E9 2020 114C 8BCD 55B2 0816 60AF 2B3D 4C51
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 2 12:47 AM
        Ron Aaron wrote:

        > On Thursday 01 April 2004 01:18 pm, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > > Hmm, perhaps you have the wcwidth() function. Patch 6.2.404 uses it if
        > > it's available. That would mean your system has a broken wcwidth()
        > > function. Search for wcwidth() in src/mbyte.c.
        >
        > That's the culprit!
        >
        > I put the following at the top of mbyte.c after the header files, and gvim
        > works again:
        >
        > #undef __STDC_ISO_10646__

        Well, so much for using a standard library function to improve quality.
        I suspect your problem is the iswprint() function.

        Where do these iswprint() and wcwidth() functions come from? What
        library are you using?

        --
        Get a life? What is the URL where it can be downloaded?

      • Ron Aaron
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2 8:24 AM
          On Friday 02 April 2004 12:47 am, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Well, so much for using a standard library function to improve quality.
          > I suspect your problem is the iswprint() function.
          >
          > Where do these iswprint() and wcwidth() functions come from? What
          > library are you using?

          I'm using gcc 3.2.3, and the iswprint() comes from libc (/usr/lib/) and it's
          ver 2.3.2

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2 9:23 AM
            Ron Aaron wrote:

            > On Friday 02 April 2004 12:47 am, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > > Well, so much for using a standard library function to improve quality.
            > > I suspect your problem is the iswprint() function.
            > >
            > > Where do these iswprint() and wcwidth() functions come from? What
            > > library are you using?
            >
            > I'm using gcc 3.2.3, and the iswprint() comes from libc (/usr/lib/)
            > and it's ver 2.3.2

            I suppose that is a common version. That means more people could run
            into it.

            Well, it appears the idea that a standard library function would work
            better than what we include with Vim was wrong. I suppose we should
            back out patch 6.2.404 then. Does anyone object to that?

            --
            Hear about the guy who played a blank tape at full blast?
            The mime next door went nuts.