Re: Bad UTF8 display on Linux/GTK

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
      Ron Aaron wrote:

      > > It works fine for me.
      > >
      > > Are you sure your relevant option settings didn't change?
      > > To be sure you can backup to patchlevel 390 and recompile.
      >
      > What are the relevant options? My enc and gfn have not changed. This is
      > GTK2, and it all worked fine a week ago before I upgraded vim. I even did a
      > 'make distclean' and 'configure --with-features=big' to make sure I've got a
      > sane build.

      It's difficult to say which options matter. At least 'fileencoding' and
      'fileencodings'. Since you mention characters being displayed as
      <xxxx>, Vim considers the characters not printable. Perhaps something
      went wrong in mbyte.c?

      Since it works for me with GTK 2, I don't think Vim itself is completely
      broken. There must be something in your setup that makes it happen.

      Hmm, perhaps you have the wcwidth() function. Patch 6.2.404 uses it if
      it's available. That would mean your system has a broken wcwidth()
      function. Search for wcwidth() in src/mbyte.c.

      --
      A computer without Windows is like a fish without a bicycle.

    • Ron Aaron
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 1, 2004
        On Thursday 01 April 2004 01:18 pm, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > Hmm, perhaps you have the wcwidth() function. Patch 6.2.404 uses it if
        > it's available. That would mean your system has a broken wcwidth()
        > function. Search for wcwidth() in src/mbyte.c.

        That's the culprit!

        I put the following at the top of mbyte.c after the header files, and gvim
        works again:

        #undef __STDC_ISO_10646__

        --
        My GPG public key is at http://ronware.org/
        fingerprint: 4E91 06E9 2020 114C 8BCD 55B2 0816 60AF 2B3D 4C51
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
          Ron Aaron wrote:

          > On Thursday 01 April 2004 01:18 pm, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > > Hmm, perhaps you have the wcwidth() function. Patch 6.2.404 uses it if
          > > it's available. That would mean your system has a broken wcwidth()
          > > function. Search for wcwidth() in src/mbyte.c.
          >
          > That's the culprit!
          >
          > I put the following at the top of mbyte.c after the header files, and gvim
          > works again:
          >
          > #undef __STDC_ISO_10646__

          Well, so much for using a standard library function to improve quality.
          I suspect your problem is the iswprint() function.

          Where do these iswprint() and wcwidth() functions come from? What
          library are you using?

          --
          Get a life? What is the URL where it can be downloaded?

        • Ron Aaron
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
            On Friday 02 April 2004 12:47 am, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > Well, so much for using a standard library function to improve quality.
            > I suspect your problem is the iswprint() function.
            >
            > Where do these iswprint() and wcwidth() functions come from? What
            > library are you using?

            I'm using gcc 3.2.3, and the iswprint() comes from libc (/usr/lib/) and it's
            ver 2.3.2

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 2, 2004
              Ron Aaron wrote:

              > On Friday 02 April 2004 12:47 am, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              > > Well, so much for using a standard library function to improve quality.
              > > I suspect your problem is the iswprint() function.
              > >
              > > Where do these iswprint() and wcwidth() functions come from? What
              > > library are you using?
              >
              > I'm using gcc 3.2.3, and the iswprint() comes from libc (/usr/lib/)
              > and it's ver 2.3.2

              I suppose that is a common version. That means more people could run
              into it.

              Well, it appears the idea that a standard library function would work
              better than what we include with Vim was wrong. I suppose we should
              back out patch 6.2.404 then. Does anyone object to that?

              --
              Hear about the guy who played a blank tape at full blast?
              The mime next door went nuts.