Re: VIM: Out of the BOX

  • Gergely Kontra
    Message 1 of 38 , Apr 1, 2004
      On 0309, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
      > We already do: It is called Vim script. Since it mainly consists of Ex
      > commands it's very practical for Vim users.
      But not for complex tasks, which needs extra data
      > Attempts to use one of the (more or less) standard scripting languages
      > have failed, for several reasons. My latest attempt is to suggest using
      > Python, but you can see on the voting page how popular that is.

      Than can I write plugins in C, which can be compiled easily by end
      users?

      Gergo
      --
      +-[ Kontra, Gergely<kgergely@...> PhD student Room IB113 ]---------+
      | http://www.mcl.hu/~kgergely "Olyan langesz vagyok, hogy |
      Message 38 of 38 , Apr 1, 2004
        Gergely Kontra wrote:

        > On 0309, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
        > > We already do: It is called Vim script. Since it mainly consists of Ex
        > > commands it's very practical for Vim users.
        > But not for complex tasks, which needs extra data

        Extra data?

        > > Attempts to use one of the (more or less) standard scripting languages
        > > have failed, for several reasons. My latest attempt is to suggest using
        > > Python, but you can see on the voting page how popular that is.
        >
        > Than can I write plugins in C, which can be compiled easily by end
        > users?

        I don't see why providing support for C plugins would be simpler than
        extending support for Vim scripting. Have a look at Python, which does
        support including C modules. It involves so many things: Getting them
        compiled, designing an API, etc. The main advantage is that it's
        faster.

        226. You sit down at the computer right after dinner and your spouse
        says "See you in the morning."