RE: Win32 gVim NSIS2 installer

  • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
      On Monday, March 01, 2004 12:04 PM, Alejandro Lopez-Valencia broke the
      silence of shunyata and uttered:

      > I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver is I can help it.
      > It
      > has always being unstable for me.

      OK. Now I know why I shuold not type without looking directly to the
      screen: "I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver if I can
      help it. It has always been unstable for me." :-)
    • Jonathan D Johnston
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
        Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
        > There is a problem though. The 32-bit console version doesn't work
        > well in Win9x. In those systems, the 16-bit console version works
        > better. Now we start talking about including three versions... Hmm...
        > You'll need OpenWatcom for perpetrating such a feat :-)

        I wrote
        > Actually, Dos32 Vim (compiled with DJGPP) is recommended for Win9x
        > console. From my experience, it works great for Win98se.
        >
        > :h dos16
        > :h dos32
        > Also, see the options at http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

        Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
        > Are you sure? I think you mean this:
        [snipped quotation from doc/os_msdos.txt]

        Which is the same thing that I wrote. Look at the last sentence for
        :h dos32
        "Recommended for MS-DOS, Windows 3.1 and Windows 95."

        Also, from http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc :
        32 bit DOS executable vim##d32.zip vim62d32.zip
        The 32 bit DOS version works well on MS-Windows 95/98/ME. It
        requires a DPMI manager, which needs to be installed on
        MS-DOS. MS-Windows already has one. It supports long file
        names, but NOT on MS-Windows NT/2000/XP. It is compiled
        with "big" features

        Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
        [...]
        > "I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver if I can
        > help it. It has always been unstable for me." :-)

        As noted at vim.org, DPMI is built into Win32, so no third-party driver
        is needed unless you want to use Vim from MS-DOS. I have only
        occasionally used the Dos32 Vim from MS-DOS. For DOS, I use the
        CWSDPMI that is distributed in vim##d32.zip. No Vim DPMI problems, from
        Windows or DOS, so far.

        Console for Win9x, in summary & from my perspective:
        Dos32/DJGPP Vim:
        + 32-bit
        + For years has been the recommended console version for Win9x
        + Years of experience by Vim developers & users
        - Some people don't like DPMI

        A new 16-bit compilation or some "third-party" 16-bit port:
        + No DPMI
        - 16-bit
        - No/little experience by Vim developers or users

        Maybe your NSIS2 package needs to include *three* console versions. :-)

        Regards,
        Jonathan D Johnston

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
          On Monday, March 01, 2004 4:41 PM, Jonathan D Johnston broke the silence
          of shunyata and uttered:

          [snip] -> Aha... So, No need for MSVC4.x but DJGPP 32 mode with DPMI
          emulation, Hmm... That goes to show I haven't touched a win9x box in the
          longest of times.

          > Maybe your NSIS2 package needs to include *three* console versions.
          > :-)

          Ahhh! But you misread my intentions! I am creating prototype script that
          might be used by others (maybe even Bram) to create theirs. I am not in
          pursue of glory here. :-)

          Of course, you are welcome to use it and publish binary installers with
          the latest and greatest patches (and flog yourself in the process ;-).