RE: Win32 gVim NSIS2 installer

  • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
      On Monday, March 01, 2004 10:44 AM, Jonathan D Johnston broke the
      silence of shunyata and uttered:

      > On Sunday, February 29, 2004 Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
      >> There is a problem though. The 32-bit console version doesn't work
      >> well in Win9x. In those systems, the 16-bit console version works
      >> better. Now we start talking about including three versions... Hmm...
      >> You'll need OpenWatcom for perpetrating such a feat :-)
      >
      > Actually, Dos32 Vim (compiled with DJGPP) is recommended for Win9x
      > console. From my experience, it works great for Win98se.
      >
      > :h dos16
      > :h dos32
      > Also, see the options at http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

      Are you sure? I think you mean this:

      """
      Dos16 version Can be used on any MS-DOS system, only uses up to 640
      Kbyte of
      memory. Also runs on OS/2, Windows 95, and NT. Excludes some
      Vim-specific features (autocommands, syntax highlighting,
      etc.). Recommended for use on pre-386 machines.
      *dos32*
      Dos32 version Requires 386 processor and a |DPMI| driver, uses all
      available memory. Supports long file names and the Windows
      clipboard, but NOT on Windows NT. Recommended for MS-DOS,
      Windows 3.1 and Windows 95.

      There are also two versions that run under Windows:
      Win32 version Requires Windows 95 or Windows NT, uses all available
      memory, supports long file names, etc. Has some problems on
      Windows 95. Recommended for Windows NT. See |os_win32.txt|
      Win32 GUI Requirements like the Win32 version, but runs in its own
      window, instead of a console. Has scrollbars, menu, etc.
      Recommended for Windows 95 and Windows NT. See |gui-w32|.
      """

      I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver is I can help it. It
      has always being unstable for me.
    • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
        On Monday, March 01, 2004 12:04 PM, Alejandro Lopez-Valencia broke the
        silence of shunyata and uttered:

        > I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver is I can help it.
        > It
        > has always being unstable for me.

        OK. Now I know why I shuold not type without looking directly to the
        screen: "I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver if I can
        help it. It has always been unstable for me." :-)
      • Jonathan D Johnston
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
          Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
          > There is a problem though. The 32-bit console version doesn't work
          > well in Win9x. In those systems, the 16-bit console version works
          > better. Now we start talking about including three versions... Hmm...
          > You'll need OpenWatcom for perpetrating such a feat :-)

          I wrote
          > Actually, Dos32 Vim (compiled with DJGPP) is recommended for Win9x
          > console. From my experience, it works great for Win98se.
          >
          > :h dos16
          > :h dos32
          > Also, see the options at http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

          Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
          > Are you sure? I think you mean this:
          [snipped quotation from doc/os_msdos.txt]

          Which is the same thing that I wrote. Look at the last sentence for
          :h dos32
          "Recommended for MS-DOS, Windows 3.1 and Windows 95."

          Also, from http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc :
          32 bit DOS executable vim##d32.zip vim62d32.zip
          The 32 bit DOS version works well on MS-Windows 95/98/ME. It
          requires a DPMI manager, which needs to be installed on
          MS-DOS. MS-Windows already has one. It supports long file
          names, but NOT on MS-Windows NT/2000/XP. It is compiled
          with "big" features

          Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
          [...]
          > "I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver if I can
          > help it. It has always been unstable for me." :-)

          As noted at vim.org, DPMI is built into Win32, so no third-party driver
          is needed unless you want to use Vim from MS-DOS. I have only
          occasionally used the Dos32 Vim from MS-DOS. For DOS, I use the
          CWSDPMI that is distributed in vim##d32.zip. No Vim DPMI problems, from
          Windows or DOS, so far.

          Console for Win9x, in summary & from my perspective:
          Dos32/DJGPP Vim:
          + 32-bit
          + For years has been the recommended console version for Win9x
          + Years of experience by Vim developers & users
          - Some people don't like DPMI

          A new 16-bit compilation or some "third-party" 16-bit port:
          + No DPMI
          - 16-bit
          - No/little experience by Vim developers or users

          Maybe your NSIS2 package needs to include *three* console versions. :-)

          Regards,
          Jonathan D Johnston

          Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
        • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
            On Monday, March 01, 2004 4:41 PM, Jonathan D Johnston broke the silence
            of shunyata and uttered:

            [snip] -> Aha... So, No need for MSVC4.x but DJGPP 32 mode with DPMI
            emulation, Hmm... That goes to show I haven't touched a win9x box in the
            longest of times.

            > Maybe your NSIS2 package needs to include *three* console versions.
            > :-)

            Ahhh! But you misread my intentions! I am creating prototype script that
            might be used by others (maybe even Bram) to create theirs. I am not in
            pursue of glory here. :-)

            Of course, you are welcome to use it and publish binary installers with
            the latest and greatest patches (and flog yourself in the process ;-).