Re: Win32 gVim NSIS2 installer

  • Jonathan D Johnston
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
      On Sunday, February 29, 2004 Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
      > There is a problem though. The 32-bit console version doesn't work
      > well in Win9x. In those systems, the 16-bit console version works
      > better. Now we start talking about including three versions... Hmm...
      > You'll need OpenWatcom for perpetrating such a feat :-)

      Actually, Dos32 Vim (compiled with DJGPP) is recommended for Win9x
      console. From my experience, it works great for Win98se.

      :h dos16
      :h dos32
      Also, see the options at http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

      Regards,
      Jonathan D Johnston

      Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
        On Monday, March 01, 2004 10:44 AM, Jonathan D Johnston broke the
        silence of shunyata and uttered:

        > On Sunday, February 29, 2004 Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
        >> There is a problem though. The 32-bit console version doesn't work
        >> well in Win9x. In those systems, the 16-bit console version works
        >> better. Now we start talking about including three versions... Hmm...
        >> You'll need OpenWatcom for perpetrating such a feat :-)
        >
        > Actually, Dos32 Vim (compiled with DJGPP) is recommended for Win9x
        > console. From my experience, it works great for Win98se.
        >
        > :h dos16
        > :h dos32
        > Also, see the options at http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

        Are you sure? I think you mean this:

        """
        Dos16 version Can be used on any MS-DOS system, only uses up to 640
        Kbyte of
        memory. Also runs on OS/2, Windows 95, and NT. Excludes some
        Vim-specific features (autocommands, syntax highlighting,
        etc.). Recommended for use on pre-386 machines.
        *dos32*
        Dos32 version Requires 386 processor and a |DPMI| driver, uses all
        available memory. Supports long file names and the Windows
        clipboard, but NOT on Windows NT. Recommended for MS-DOS,
        Windows 3.1 and Windows 95.

        There are also two versions that run under Windows:
        Win32 version Requires Windows 95 or Windows NT, uses all available
        memory, supports long file names, etc. Has some problems on
        Windows 95. Recommended for Windows NT. See |os_win32.txt|
        Win32 GUI Requirements like the Win32 version, but runs in its own
        window, instead of a console. Has scrollbars, menu, etc.
        Recommended for Windows 95 and Windows NT. See |gui-w32|.
        """

        I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver is I can help it. It
        has always being unstable for me.
      • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
          On Monday, March 01, 2004 12:04 PM, Alejandro Lopez-Valencia broke the
          silence of shunyata and uttered:

          > I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver is I can help it.
          > It
          > has always being unstable for me.

          OK. Now I know why I shuold not type without looking directly to the
          screen: "I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver if I can
          help it. It has always been unstable for me." :-)
        • Jonathan D Johnston
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
            Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
            > There is a problem though. The 32-bit console version doesn't work
            > well in Win9x. In those systems, the 16-bit console version works
            > better. Now we start talking about including three versions... Hmm...
            > You'll need OpenWatcom for perpetrating such a feat :-)

            I wrote
            > Actually, Dos32 Vim (compiled with DJGPP) is recommended for Win9x
            > console. From my experience, it works great for Win98se.
            >
            > :h dos16
            > :h dos32
            > Also, see the options at http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

            Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
            > Are you sure? I think you mean this:
            [snipped quotation from doc/os_msdos.txt]

            Which is the same thing that I wrote. Look at the last sentence for
            :h dos32
            "Recommended for MS-DOS, Windows 3.1 and Windows 95."

            Also, from http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc :
            32 bit DOS executable vim##d32.zip vim62d32.zip
            The 32 bit DOS version works well on MS-Windows 95/98/ME. It
            requires a DPMI manager, which needs to be installed on
            MS-DOS. MS-Windows already has one. It supports long file
            names, but NOT on MS-Windows NT/2000/XP. It is compiled
            with "big" features

            Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
            [...]
            > "I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver if I can
            > help it. It has always been unstable for me." :-)

            As noted at vim.org, DPMI is built into Win32, so no third-party driver
            is needed unless you want to use Vim from MS-DOS. I have only
            occasionally used the Dos32 Vim from MS-DOS. For DOS, I use the
            CWSDPMI that is distributed in vim##d32.zip. No Vim DPMI problems, from
            Windows or DOS, so far.

            Console for Win9x, in summary & from my perspective:
            Dos32/DJGPP Vim:
            + 32-bit
            + For years has been the recommended console version for Win9x
            + Years of experience by Vim developers & users
            - Some people don't like DPMI

            A new 16-bit compilation or some "third-party" 16-bit port:
            + No DPMI
            - 16-bit
            - No/little experience by Vim developers or users

            Maybe your NSIS2 package needs to include *three* console versions. :-)

            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
              On Monday, March 01, 2004 4:41 PM, Jonathan D Johnston broke the silence
              of shunyata and uttered:

              [snip] -> Aha... So, No need for MSVC4.x but DJGPP 32 mode with DPMI
              emulation, Hmm... That goes to show I haven't touched a win9x box in the
              longest of times.

              > Maybe your NSIS2 package needs to include *three* console versions.
              > :-)

              Ahhh! But you misread my intentions! I am creating prototype script that
              might be used by others (maybe even Bram) to create theirs. I am not in
              pursue of glory here. :-)

              Of course, you are welcome to use it and publish binary installers with
              the latest and greatest patches (and flog yourself in the process ;-).