RE: Win32 gVim NSIS2 installer

  • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
      On Monday, March 01, 2004 7:52 AM, Matthias Mohr broke the silence of
      shunyata and uttered:

      > Is there anybody with good knowledge about NSIS who can help?

      I am not particuarly knowledgeable, but I am writing a prototype.
    • Jonathan D Johnston
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
        On Sunday, February 29, 2004 Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
        > There is a problem though. The 32-bit console version doesn't work
        > well in Win9x. In those systems, the 16-bit console version works
        > better. Now we start talking about including three versions... Hmm...
        > You'll need OpenWatcom for perpetrating such a feat :-)

        Actually, Dos32 Vim (compiled with DJGPP) is recommended for Win9x
        console. From my experience, it works great for Win98se.

        :h dos16
        :h dos32
        Also, see the options at http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

        Regards,
        Jonathan D Johnston

        Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
          On Monday, March 01, 2004 10:44 AM, Jonathan D Johnston broke the
          silence of shunyata and uttered:

          > On Sunday, February 29, 2004 Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
          >> There is a problem though. The 32-bit console version doesn't work
          >> well in Win9x. In those systems, the 16-bit console version works
          >> better. Now we start talking about including three versions... Hmm...
          >> You'll need OpenWatcom for perpetrating such a feat :-)
          >
          > Actually, Dos32 Vim (compiled with DJGPP) is recommended for Win9x
          > console. From my experience, it works great for Win98se.
          >
          > :h dos16
          > :h dos32
          > Also, see the options at http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

          Are you sure? I think you mean this:

          """
          Dos16 version Can be used on any MS-DOS system, only uses up to 640
          Kbyte of
          memory. Also runs on OS/2, Windows 95, and NT. Excludes some
          Vim-specific features (autocommands, syntax highlighting,
          etc.). Recommended for use on pre-386 machines.
          *dos32*
          Dos32 version Requires 386 processor and a |DPMI| driver, uses all
          available memory. Supports long file names and the Windows
          clipboard, but NOT on Windows NT. Recommended for MS-DOS,
          Windows 3.1 and Windows 95.

          There are also two versions that run under Windows:
          Win32 version Requires Windows 95 or Windows NT, uses all available
          memory, supports long file names, etc. Has some problems on
          Windows 95. Recommended for Windows NT. See |os_win32.txt|
          Win32 GUI Requirements like the Win32 version, but runs in its own
          window, instead of a console. Has scrollbars, menu, etc.
          Recommended for Windows 95 and Windows NT. See |gui-w32|.
          """

          I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver is I can help it. It
          has always being unstable for me.
        • Alejandro Lopez-Valencia
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
            On Monday, March 01, 2004 12:04 PM, Alejandro Lopez-Valencia broke the
            silence of shunyata and uttered:

            > I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver is I can help it.
            > It
            > has always being unstable for me.

            OK. Now I know why I shuold not type without looking directly to the
            screen: "I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver if I can
            help it. It has always been unstable for me." :-)
          • Jonathan D Johnston
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
              Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
              > There is a problem though. The 32-bit console version doesn't work
              > well in Win9x. In those systems, the 16-bit console version works
              > better. Now we start talking about including three versions... Hmm...
              > You'll need OpenWatcom for perpetrating such a feat :-)

              I wrote
              > Actually, Dos32 Vim (compiled with DJGPP) is recommended for Win9x
              > console. From my experience, it works great for Win98se.
              >
              > :h dos16
              > :h dos32
              > Also, see the options at http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc

              Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
              > Are you sure? I think you mean this:
              [snipped quotation from doc/os_msdos.txt]

              Which is the same thing that I wrote. Look at the last sentence for
              :h dos32
              "Recommended for MS-DOS, Windows 3.1 and Windows 95."

              Also, from http://www.vim.org/download.php#pc :
              32 bit DOS executable vim##d32.zip vim62d32.zip
              The 32 bit DOS version works well on MS-Windows 95/98/ME. It
              requires a DPMI manager, which needs to be installed on
              MS-DOS. MS-Windows already has one. It supports long file
              names, but NOT on MS-Windows NT/2000/XP. It is compiled
              with "big" features

              Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
              [...]
              > "I am not particularly privy to using a DPMI driver if I can
              > help it. It has always been unstable for me." :-)

              As noted at vim.org, DPMI is built into Win32, so no third-party driver
              is needed unless you want to use Vim from MS-DOS. I have only
              occasionally used the Dos32 Vim from MS-DOS. For DOS, I use the
              CWSDPMI that is distributed in vim##d32.zip. No Vim DPMI problems, from
              Windows or DOS, so far.

              Console for Win9x, in summary & from my perspective:
              Dos32/DJGPP Vim:
              + 32-bit
              + For years has been the recommended console version for Win9x
              + Years of experience by Vim developers & users
              - Some people don't like DPMI

              A new 16-bit compilation or some "third-party" 16-bit port:
              + No DPMI
              - 16-bit
              - No/little experience by Vim developers or users

              Maybe your NSIS2 package needs to include *three* console versions. :-)

              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 1, 2004
                On Monday, March 01, 2004 4:41 PM, Jonathan D Johnston broke the silence
                of shunyata and uttered:

                [snip] -> Aha... So, No need for MSVC4.x but DJGPP 32 mode with DPMI
                emulation, Hmm... That goes to show I haven't touched a win9x box in the
                longest of times.

                > Maybe your NSIS2 package needs to include *three* console versions.
                > :-)

                Ahhh! But you misread my intentions! I am creating prototype script that
                might be used by others (maybe even Bram) to create theirs. I am not in
                pursue of glory here. :-)

                Of course, you are welcome to use it and publish binary installers with
                the latest and greatest patches (and flog yourself in the process ;-).